Nuno Fernandes, CEO, Ilumno

 

Nuno Fernandes


Contact Information:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nuno-a-s-fernandes/



www.ilumno.com


Transcript

This is a transcript from The Floridaville podcast.  This transcript was created using artificial intelligence so it may not be an accurate account of what was recorded.


Rosanna Catalano  00:08

This is the Floridaville get to know the people behind the Florida names. You know, I'm your host Rosanna Catalano. And on this episode we get to know Nuno Fernandez, the President and CEO of Ilumno, a company dedicated to expanding access to top quality, affordable higher education across Latin America. We're recording today remotely. I'm in my home in Tallahassee, and Nuno, is speaking to us from Miami. Welcome to the show.

 

Nuno Fernandes  00:34

Thank you very much, Rosanna. It's a pleasure being here.

 

Rosanna Catalano  00:37

Well, I'm very excited to know because I'm passionate about education and technology, and by all accounts, Ilumno focuses on both of these things. Can you tell us more about your company?

 

Nuno Fernandes  00:50

Absolutely. Illumina was founded in the year 2005. And what we do is that we help higher education institutions that want to go online, we help them with the technology, with their marketing efforts, that enrollment efforts, their retention efforts, and basically we help them being successful in the online, higher education industry. In the in the US, typically a company like those would be called an OPM online program manager, there are several OPMs in the US. They're not as well known in Latin America, we're kind of the pioneers, Ilumno is actually the biggest OPM in Latin America, we're actually among the top 10 worldwide.

 

Rosanna Catalano  01:27

Wow. So what is your reach in Latin America in terms of students? Do you think,

 

Nuno Fernandes  01:33

ya know, we have about 200,000 students, currently, you know, platform. Most of them are in Colombia, in Argentina, in Brazil. And we also have some in Central America, specifically, in Costa Rica and Panama, we are currently expanding to other markets, to Mexico to Peru, we're looking into Ecuador. So you know, it's exciting. We're into expansion mode. And, and hopefully, if we talk to anyone here, these numbers will be a much larger.

 

Rosanna Catalano  02:03

So I did a lot of research on you before this podcast, and it was apparent to me that you really believe in the transformative power of education, why is that so important to you?

 

Nuno Fernandes  02:18

Yeah, I do actually. And, you know, I think that the stars were aligned, when I find this job, that speaks a lot to me in terms of what we do. When I when I joined the company in 2013, I really liked the mission of the company of expanding access to, to education in Latin America or globally, whatever that is, because I'm originally from Portugal, and my, my grandparents, you know, they were farmers, they didn't know how to read or write. And, and my parents were actually the first one from their small village that actually got to go to the university and graduate from university and, and I could see how that changed the life that my parents could have, you know, my father graduated as a lawyer. And he's a lawyer until today, and my mother was actually a faculty member in one of university in Portugal. So I could see how their life changed because of education. And all their life was significantly different than the life that my grandparents had, and, and the only reason why that happened was because they had access, they had the opportunity to study. And then, for me, it was exactly the same, you know, I'm the second generation of my family that got to go to, to the university to get access to higher education. And, and I'm sure that if that would not, would have been the case, I would not be here speaking to you today. So, so I know that that it sounds like a cliche, and probably it is, but I know that education transforms lives, I know that it helps people progress, it helps families having a better quality of life. And overall, when you look at all the metrics and studies and an analysis, it's proven that the education is directly related to the progress of a country, dynamically and socially. So So I think it's one of the the nice things in this industry is to be able to, to be involved with something that really touches people in such a deep way. And that helps people hopefully have a better life for them and for their family. So So yeah, for me, it's something very dear and, and it's also something very dear for everybody in our company, we really nurture that that vision that we have of expanding access, and try to reach as many people as we can and try to improve their life. So So yes, it's it's something very dear to me.

 

Rosanna Catalano  04:44

You know, I'm gonna back up here for just a second because you talked about being from Portugal. So I was wondering if you could tell us a bit about what it was like growing up there and what your family's like were they a close knit family?

 

Nuno Fernandes  04:58

Yeah, absolutely. For those who don't know, sometimes I get the question Where is that? Portugal is a country in the south of Europe, its borders with Spain. And, and I was born in a small town, located on the Atlantic coasts. And basically, I grew up with my grandparents, in my early years living in this small fishing village. And, and then later on, when my parents finally graduated, I moved to Puerto, which is the second, the second biggest city in Portugal. And I moved in with my parents and, and, and my youth and my, my younger years, my childhood, my younger years, they were very happy. I mean, just, we were a, we weren't, we are a very close family. You know, we didn't really have any luxuries or anything like that. But we had everything we needed. My my generation was actually the first one is interesting, because my generation was the first one that was born in a democracy in Portugal, Portugal was a dictator regimen until 1974. I was born in 76. So my generation was the first one that was born under a democracy. And, and, and back then everything was very hard because the country was in transition from a very dark age, if I can call it like that, to, let's say, modern times, right. So it was difficult, but exciting at the same time, because after so many decades of, of this regimen, the country was ready to progress and to evolve and to transform itself. So it was an interesting time for me, because I could see how the country was changing and shifting and evolving and becoming more modern. But at the same time, it was a country with a lot of challenges, economically speaking, so. So I would say that, that my childhood was very happy. I mean, I have the best memories. My family's very close until today, two small families, just me and my parents. But you know, we're very close, we talk every day, you know, now we have WhatsApp and all these things. So it's much easier. And, you know, usually they come for a period of time to spend one or two months in Miami this year, unfortunately, because of COVID, they're not coming. But hopefully all of that is going to be over soon. And because my parents, I guess they were the first ones that our opportunity they really knew and they know the value of work and say integrity and commitment. And, and that's that was something that was very present in my life from a very early age, and that you have to work very hard, you have to work very hard. And, and this was something that I listened, you know, breakfast, lunch and dinner and and they were very strict in that sense that I had to overperform and that nothing easy comes without hard work and commitment. So and I guess that stayed with me until today. And and it's something that I'm very thankful that that they teach me.

 

Rosanna Catalano  07:41

I'm wondering if your parents know, my parents since I was a young age, are you going to be a doctor or a lawyer?

 

Nuno Fernandes  07:49

Yes, Oh, actually, you know, but, you know, back then you could only be a doctor, lawyer engineer, those were like the, the jobs that were socially recognized, right. And I actually I want it to be a doctor. Funny enough. I want it to be a doctor, I wanted to go to med school because I wanted to be a psychiatrist. Because I like to work with mental health. I was always fascinated fascination for more those kinds of things. But then I realized that I can see blood and I can deal with diseases and hospitals. And every time I go to a hospital, I don't feel well, you know, I feel that I'm going to faint. So I thought, it's probably not a good idea to spend six years of my life, you know, inside the hospital seeing blood and disease every day. And then I realized I thought, you know, what could I study? And I decided to study economics, because I think it was broad enough to do anything, right? And what that's what an economist does, he does, whatever he wants to do, right? So so that's why I study economics, because I thought it was very broad. I didn't want to be labeled just you know, like as a lawyer or as an engineer, so I decided to do something that was more flexible. And, and it was not really a strategic decision just happened that way. But But I'm very happy that I took that route.

 

Rosanna Catalano  09:06

Yeah, I didn't like the sight of blood either. So I ended up on the law path.

 

Nuno Fernandes  09:13

Yeah, my father was a lawyer, you know, and he's a lawyer and and you have clients calling every day at dinnertime. And I always thought that was something I didn't want for me. You know, and that's, that's one of the reasons that I didn't study law as well.

 

Rosanna Catalano  09:29

So you said you studied economics for your undergraduate degree? What University Did you attend? in Porto,

 

Nuno Fernandes  09:36

the University of Porto.

 

Rosanna Catalano  09:39

And after you completed your degree, where did you work?

 

Nuno Fernandes  09:44

Well, yeah, when I when I finished my degree, I went working for a German company called Bosch. Maybe you heard the name, no home appliances, car parts, or tools, a lot of things. It's a very large company, one of the biggest German companies and I've started working for them in Madrid in Spain, actually. So I spent about two years in Madrid, almost two years about 18 months in Madrid with them. And and then after that, I went to Brazil. So and then I spent three years, two or three years in Brazil. And then I came back, I spent some time in Germany. And then I went to Mexico with them. And then finally I came to the US with Bosch in the year 2008, as their VP of Marketing and product management. And that's how I came to the US. And now it's a funny story, because we're talking about Florida, Miami. And back then the idea was that I was going to Detroit, because that's where the corporate headquarters isn't. And the plan was that I was being transferred to Detroit. And Bosch just acquired the company in Fort Lauderdale back then. And then they said, well, you're going to go to foreclose authority, because you're going to be in charge of the integration plan. And then one site started leaving you I never left. So. So I, once I was in Fort Lauderdale and Miami, I didn't want to go to Detroit. And that's why I stayed here.

 

Rosanna Catalano  11:04

It is we do here in Florida.

 

Nuno Fernandes  11:07

Yeah, the weather, it's likely better.

 

Rosanna Catalano  11:11

So what do you think was one of the most important skills that you've learned at that job with Bosch?

 

Nuno Fernandes  11:21

You know, I, I think that when in your career, one of the most important things is when you start is Who do you report to? Who is your boss, or, yes, it the person that you are working directly with, and I was very lucky, that sense, you know, I was very blessed that I had a great guy. His name was Friedman ______ , German guy, he was the Director of Product Management, and I was working for him. And he had a lot of knowledge not only about the company, but about the world in general. And he was a very affable and a very open person. And, and somehow he took me under his wing, and he was kind of my mentor, in that sense, and, and he taught me a lot of good things that are valid until today, but but I would say that one of them was that you always have to be relevant, you know, that you have to make yourself relevant. You have to be seen, and just an if you're seeing that you're going to get opportunities, but in whatever you do, you have to be relevant. And then one thing that I also learned from me was, you know, all do you measure the value of an employee, you know, and you measure it by thinking what would happen if this person will leave the company tomorrow. And I thought, that's really interesting, because it's really to write because if you have somebody that leaves the company, tomorrow, nothing happens, then the value of that person is very low. Now, if you have somebody that leaves a company tomorrow, and then there's a big problem, then develop that person is very high. And, and you always have to position yourself in that, in that situation, where if you would leave, it would not be good. And that's, that's about being relevant. Right? So and then I was lucky as well, that, that I was exposed to leadership roles at a very young age. When I when I joined the company, immediately I started leading small teams, and then larger teams and then fairly large teams, but but from a very early age, I had a leadership roles. And I've learned that sometimes it's okay to make difficult decisions. And you must do that, as a leader, you know, it just as a leader, you have to take responsibility. And sometimes the things that are not very popular, but you must do them. And I'm specifically remember that the first time that I had to fire somebody, for me was really, really hard. You know, and I was about 24,25. And I had to fire this person. And for me, it was really, really hard to do it because I thought you know about the family and about, you know, everything that we think about when you have to fire somebody, right? But then, yeah, but then I learned. You know, if you don't feel bad when you fire somebody, you are most likely a bad person. But if you but, but if you don't fire the person because you feel bad, and you are a bad employee and a bad leader. So those are the things that I learned in the early stages of my career outside of the most relevant ones.

 

Rosanna Catalano  14:11

I think those are wonderful things to have taken away from that. And very good advice. So let's take a quick commercial break. And when we come back, I'm going to ask you about your graduate schooling and how Ilumno is growing so rapidly. Thank you. At Rocket Ship Consultants, our mission is to launch your business, career or podcast. Our team works with you to start and grow your business with fresh ideas and inspiration. Let us make key introductions on your behalf and leverage our network of contacts. Talk to us before you send your application in for a new position. A university admission or scholarship from resumes and interview preparation to negotiating offers Our experienced career advice visors can help you at all levels achieve your career goals.

 

Rosanna Catalano  15:03

Let us help you take that dream you have or a podcast or video and turn it into a reality. Rocket Ship Consultants offers a variety of services. So check out our website at rocket ship consultants calm, take off with Rocket Ship Consultants and launch your business career or podcast with us.

 

Rosanna Catalano  15:27

Welcome back. My guest today is Nuno Fernandez, the President and CEO of Ilumno, a company that partners with educational institutions across Latin America. So I know you have an MBA from the WP Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. Why did you decide to pursue your graduate degree in the United States,

 

Nuno Fernandes  15:50

I was living in Mexico, the time working for Bosch, I've lived in Mexico, between 2004 2008. And I was I remember, I was about 27 years, 27 years old at the time, and I wanted to do an MBA and, and the US for me, I was not involved in education by any means I was working for, for a German company that produces consumer goods. But I wanted to do an MBA and for me, the US was always a reference in terms of education in so many other things, right, but also in education. And Arizona State was just easy to fly to that's the honest answer there is I wish I could tell you something, you know, more stuff more advanced and sophisticated. But it was just a nice MBA from a nice school that would that good rankings. I like the faculty have, I've investigated a lot of MBAs, and it was an executive MBA that I could fly in and fly out. And it was just easy to fly from Mexico City and, and come back to work again. So that was the main reason but having said that, it was it was a great experience. And, and also a great way of doing new contacts and networking. And, and I still have a lot of dear colleagues that are you know, in my contact listen to today.

 

Rosanna Catalano  17:03

So you spend some time in Portugal, Spain, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, and obviously the United States for your work. What kind of perspective did you gain from living all over the world?

 

Nuno Fernandes  17:17

Yeah, I think a lot of flexibility. And, and a lot of questioning yourself about the things that you believe are correct. You know, just because you see something, you know why it doesn't really mean that it's the right way, we take, you know, usually take what we know, as absolute truths, because that's what we know. But it is often not like that, because there are many truths, right. And I think that I think the food actually food is a very good example about it. Because, you know, like Mexico, in some parts of the country, they eat snakes, right. And most people say that that's terrible. But for them, it's normal, because they were born with that. And they were raised with that. Now. If you tell a person from India, that you are eating a cow, they will think it's a sin. But for us, it's perfectly normal. But in certain countries, pork is not allowed. But we all love bacon, right? And then and then in Portugal, you know, wheat rabbit, and near the rabbits are pets. So which one is right? And the truth is that I believe they all are correct. And because they're all part of a set of values and culture that is that is usually very deep within the society. I think that my takeaway is to be able to question everything and and i think that helped me with my job, and that I always try to question everything to see see is really the right way of doing things, or is there another way? Or just because we've been doing this this way, I'm sure that there might be some other way of doing it or, or being able to question everything. I think that's the most important takeaway from from my international experience.

 

Rosanna Catalano  18:57

Now, let's talk about the llumno. You began working there, I think it was around 2013. What attracted you to the company? And what was your first position there?

 

Nuno Fernandes  19:07

Yeah, I was really attracted to the company because of what I mentioned in the beginning that you're we were able to work with, with schools to expand the access to education. So we were able to touch people in a very significant way. Right? I think there are three, three moments in life that are really significant. And I'm going to tell you what those moments are. The first one is what do you study? You know, because what do you studied kind of defines your your life pattern, you know, if I would have studied to be a doctor, I will not be talking to you today. You know, my life would be probably better worse. It doesn't matter but it would certainly be different. Because I will be a doctor, I will not be what I am today and that's because I decided to study the med school so So what do you study has a very deep impact in your life? The second one is would you get married to. And the third one is, if you have kids, those are the three moments for me that are really significant in life. Now, in our company, we don't impact the people you get married to, or if you have kids or not, but we do in fact, one of them one of the three of them, which is, what do you study and if you study and, and I thought that that's really relevant and and I honestly feel very blessed that we have the opportunity of working with our partners with the universities to expand and bring education to millions of people in Latin America, if you think about Latin America, in most countries, participation, right, the fire, the occasion is less than 50%. So that means that one off every two persons, they can't access higher education for whatever reason that might be. But that's not bad, because a few, you know, two decades ago was 25%. So it's going in the right direction. And we're part of, you know, within our within our possibilities, we're very happy to be helping the countries and the societies to become more educated. So, so I guess that was what attracted me. And my first role was, I was the Senior Vice President of Marketing for the company.

 

Rosanna Catalano  21:20

Now, you helped achieve extraordinary growth rates for your company, according to your website. alumno, is now one of the fastest growing University networks in Latin America, obtaining for its educational partners, the number one and number three positions in Colombia, and number one in Argentina, in terms of market share, what do you think was key for you all to have such growth in Latin America?

 

Nuno Fernandes  21:46

Yeah, I think one of the important factors that we were the first ones, you know, we were the first ones to kind of bring this online program management model to them. So that gave gave us a very strong position, we got the right partners, so we partner with the right schools, that's very important. The market was growing by itself, you know, organically, so we were we entered in a growing market, which is always good, that you are part of a market that that is growing, I would say the fourth factor is that, you know, we're part of a global group that has the right resources to to invest. And, and now we keep expanding to other countries, to Mexico, to Ecuador, to Peru, and to other parts of the world, which I'll be happy to talk about that too. And then, but I would say that the most important factor, the number five is that we have a great team. You know, I think that in every company of an African company I've seen in every company that I've worked for in every country that I've been, the great companies are always the ones with great people. I mean, I've never seen a great company that does not have great people. But coincidentally, all the bad ones have not so great people. So so there is a pattern there that the team is highly important. The ambition, the motivation, the aggressiveness. And and I think we do have a great team. And I think that's part of our success.

 

Rosanna Catalano  23:11

You quickly rose through the ranks at Illumina to become the CEO and president. What do you attribute your success to?

 

Nuno Fernandes  23:23

You know, I have a lot of weaknesses, but I do think I have one important strengths. One of the strengths, one of the few ones is that is that I believe I have a very good eye for people. And that has been key to the success of the company. You know, as I was just telling you, every great companies might have great people. That's it, there's a direct correlation there. And in the end, as a CEO, you know, you are directing the show, you are giving the strategy, but you're not really doing anything. Because most of the times people are doing that for you. So, so you need great people to work with you. Otherwise you can be successful. It's impossible. I don't believe in one man show. It never happens. It's alive. And when people say it is true, it's a lie. Even when there's only one public face, there's always a great team behind so my success, the success of any CEO or anybody that is leading a company, big small medium, is always the team that we have and and I believe that in that sense, is one of my strengths is that I think I have a good eye for people, most of the people that are working with me. They have been working with me since the beginning. Since I've joined the company. They develop themselves such as I did, you know, it's ever evolving process. I'm certainly not the same one I was seven years ago, but but the people that work directly with me, they're not the same. They were seven years ago. So. So you know, we're very proud that all of our management team or Illumina is composed from people that came from Illumina. They were formed and trained at loom No, we don't really have anybody from the outside not that it could not happen certainly could. There's nothing wrong with But, you know, our, our VP of finance our VP of HR, or CEO or CTO, everybody comes from within. And they are part of a development process that has happened in the last six or seven years. And that also developed them. So. So yeah, I think that that the success of the company, I don't like to say my success, because it is doesn't really matter what my success is, is not the success of the companies is composed by by the fact that we do have a great set of people working for us.

 

Rosanna Catalano  25:33

Your company focuses on Latin America, yet you live in the United States. And you've talked about expanding into other markets. So why are you in the United States and your company focuses on Latin America.

 

Nuno Fernandes  25:47

So our company, our company is part of a global group, we do have similar efforts than the ones we have in Latin America, in Europe, and in South Africa. And we're expanding to the Middle East. The reason why we our offices in Miami is just because it's so easy to travel to Latin America, from Miami. So it's a great hub. And that's the reason we do have a small office in Miami, most of our operation is in Latin America, specifically, in Bogota, Colombia, and in Rio, Brazil. So in Bogota, Colombia, we have a large office with about 600 employees. And in Rio, and in Rio, Brazil, we have a large office with about 500 employees. So so the teams are in Latin America, just some of the leadership roles. They are in Miami. And just because it's easy to travel, and it's a great hub. And I'm also involved with other efforts, globally. So for me, it's also easier Well, now, it doesn't really matter, because you can't really go anywhere, right. But But before, before COVID, you know, if I had to go to South Africa or to Europe, it's easier to move to fly from Miami than from South America. So that's the reason.

 

Rosanna Catalano  27:02

So your company in the know, brings best practices and processes and technology to these academic institutions. I'm curious as to how you all assess and determine which of these practices and processes and which technology your company is going to bring under their umbrella and offer?

 

Nuno Fernandes  27:26

Yeah, great question. You know, higher education is becoming increasingly competitive in worldwide and like America, it's no different, right? There's a lot of competition now more than ever, because of COVID. But let's take that, let's forget that for one second. Because even without COVID, the market was extremely competitive. So as a university, what you need to do is that you need to provide a great enrollment experience, fast, efficient, useful, and then you have to provide great services on the student journey. And the students today. Either when they are enrolling, or when they are studying, and they need a service. They like everything to me to be available right there, you know, on your phone, with a few clicks, they don't want to be calling anybody, certainly they want to be going to the university and beyond, you know, waiting for two hours to sign a paper or something, you want everything to be readily available. So. So what we're trying to do is to work with our partners to provide these incredible experiences, either when you are enrolling in a program, or when you are a student, and using technology to do that using technology to be able to provide very pleasant experiences, but very efficient and very fast. So when you think about that, we're doing a lot of experimentation with AI. And we're doing a lot of experimentation with, you know, algorithms and business intelligence and data to try to understand the behaviors of the students and try to create patterns that that support that behavior, and that support them until the graduation so so we have we have a specific team of bi team and we have a team that have data scientists that is that is everyday studying what happens with students and we and what their problems are and and that's what we're trying to do. We're trying to provide better experiences, either when you are enrolling or when you are already a student until graduation.

 

Rosanna Catalano  29:29

So I noticed that your Instagram I'm going to take you away from Ilumno for a second that your Instagram is filled with photographs of one person in particular can you tell us about him?

 

Nuno Fernandes  29:41

Yeah, I mean, I there's only one person there. So I assume I know. Yeah, that's my son. His name is Luca. He's seven years old. He lives in Miami. And and yeah, it's it's a it's a very important person for me as you can imagine. Right. It's a it's a It sounds like a cliche and, and it probably is. But, you know, when I became a father, it kind of changed my perspective on a lot of things, especially on the focus and the drive. And, you know, I travel a lot for work. Even now, I still travel more in the US, but I travel a lot, but, but I do have this kind of off deal within that wherever I am in the world, I was coming back on Friday night. So on Fridays, I'm always here, I spent the weekend we theme and then usually I'll leave on Sunday night or Monday morning. And money is just the person I've spent all my weekends with. And, you know, we like to do voice thing, you know, cars and sports and all these things. And it's I don't know, you know, it's very hard. But sometimes I think, like, Am I being a good father? You know, it's very hard because there's, nobody teaches you that right? It's one of the things even for a mother, there's no training for that it just one day wake up and you're a father, right? And okay, just figure it out. And I guess I'll never know, I left West cuca one day when he's older, you know if I'm a good fight or not, but but I certainly tried to be and, and yeah, I'm very blessed in my life.

 

Rosanna Catalano  31:06

I think it depends on what age you ask them if you're a good father, because I have a 13 year old, and I'm pretty sure an 11 year old and I'm pretty sure if you ask either one of them now, I probably wouldn't pass the test. But a few years ago, I was fantastic.

 

Nuno Fernandes  31:23

A few years ago to be fantastic again.

 

Rosanna Catalano  31:28

That's how that's how it works.

 

Nuno Fernandes  31:30

Yeah. You know,

 

Rosanna Catalano  31:31

we often talk to women about the balance of work and family. Is there a secret to how you're trying to keep the balance with obviously, all of your travel commitments? I know you talked about returning on Friday, is there anything else or a tip that you can give to our listeners,

 

Nuno Fernandes  31:50

I'm not I'm not a good person to talk about balancing work and family, quite frankly, but but I'm my The only balance that I have is that I have that that that agreement with myself and with with my son that every Friday Wherever I am, unless it's something extraordinary. And I can tell you in the last four years, I think I've missed four weekends. So unless something extraordinary happens Wherever I am, I come back. And then I go, you know, I go away on Sunday or Monday, or sometimes I don't I stay in Miami, just sometimes that I don't travel as well. But I'm not a good person to talk about balancing personal life with work life.

 

Rosanna Catalano  32:30

So what is next for you and your company?

 

Nuno Fernandes  32:35

Yeah, so we have a lot of exciting things going on in terms of expansion. As I said, I think we're going to be growing significantly our group, the part of the group that we are, I think the group is going to be growing significantly in Latin America, specifically, in Mexico and Peru. And we're very hopeful, as well about Ecuador. So we have a high expectations about Ecuador, but certainly Mexico and Peru, a lot of efforts in Africa, we already have nine partners in South Africa, some of the most important schools in the country are working with us. And we're now going into more exotic places that we've never been like Kenya and Ghana, we're signing partners in those countries. And we're very excited about that. Because we're the first ones. And our partners will be the first ones to provide online education in the country. You know, we're signing a few deals in Spain, and in the UK. And we're looking at France and Germany. So there's a lot of there's a lot of things going on. And I think that the future of the company is going to be these global, the global expansion. And we are like I told you know, we are already the biggest OPM elect America. Our target is to become the largest OPM worldwide in time. It's not gonna it's not gonna happen in in a few months. But that in time, that's our ambition. Yeah.

 

Rosanna Catalano  33:57

Well, it sounds like you are right on your way. So we'd like to end our show with a little bit of fun by asking all of our guests the same seven questions. So what would people be surprised to know about you?

 

Nuno Fernandes  34:12

When I was in university in 1998, I opened the first surf school in Portugal. Finally, per se my city. I had a surf school. It was a way of making money to study and myself and my friends. We bought a few surfboards, and in the summer we had the surf school. It was the first one and after that a lot of a lot of follow. Back then surf was not very popular. It's not like today that's like California. Every kid is surfing but back then we opened the first surf school and it was kind of successful.

 

Rosanna Catalano  34:42

So you've always been a trailblazer. When you have guests in town, where is your favorite place to take them?

 

Nuno Fernandes  34:51

It depends because some guests you know some guests that come to Miami the first time and they want to see the typical things. Lincoln Road Ocean Drive You know Versace house all those things that honestly I don't go with if I don't have guests like, but I think the last time I drive was maybe two years ago. And so I don't really go to those, let's say typical touristical spots. But sometimes I have friends from Europe especially that they've never been to Miami they want to see those those places and I and I enjoy taking them but but if it's if our guests that are repeated guests that have been to the city before you know there's there are a lot of restaurants that I enjoy Miami i like i like I'm a bit of a foodie so I like to try food and and I like restaurants and all kinds of restaurants so so in Miami, I have a few few ones that I like and I'm not paid by anybody to do any advertising. But there's a Greek one called mandoline that I love with design district. There is another one that is fairly new about two years old in downtown is called NaVi Cove which is more like upscale, but it's really nice. The food is really nice. There's a Cuban one, which is the opposite of Nautica. But there's a Cuban one and Thai ocho called El Cristo, which I love. And it's like the typical Cuban place they know they're speaking in Spanish and they see view electron and all these things. So it's delicious. So yeah, there's a few restaurants that I can see that I like to take my friends personally liked to go to the frost Museum, I think it was something that is that it was very nicely done and a good decision for the city because we didn't have anything like that. And I go with Luca. A lot by a lot. I mean, like maybe three times per year but but you know, I like to go to see the planetarium and all these things and I think it's nicely done. So So yeah, there's there's a few spots that I I like to go in Miami.

 

Rosanna Catalano  36:47

What is the name of a book you recently read that you could not put down or the name of a show you enjoyed binge watching?

 

Nuno Fernandes  36:55

Oh, my God. Just last week, I was watching this one. The Queen's Gambit. Have you seen it on Netflix?

 

Rosanna Catalano  37:01

We have we saw it actually just last week, it was so excellent one. learn much more about chess than I know. I

 

Nuno Fernandes  37:08

don't know. I thought it was so powerful and so nicely done. And, and I could not stop. I watched it in one day. So fact, it's a true story. I thought it was amazing. It was amazing. I didn't know the actress, but I thought she was phenomenal. And I'd never heard about it. But I thought it was so bad, especially the last episode. The last episode, I mean, just giving me the chills just thinking about it. Just really, really powerful. I know the book that I've read recently, I've read anything about that I've read the last CD of the Monkey God, I don't know if you read that one. It's about a lost city, Honduras, that they find the CD and the book is fascinating. I'm not going to tell you what it is about, I recommend that you buy it called the lost city of the monkey God's very, very nice book.

 

Rosanna Catalano  37:56

Thank you. So among your close family and friends, what are you best known for?

 

Nuno Fernandes  38:04

I think most of them would say that I'm a bit obsessed about work. Some of them would say that I probably be OCD about it. And I think that would be the general definition.

 

Rosanna Catalano  38:15

If you have a nickname Who gave it to you?

 

Nuno Fernandes  38:18

I don't know that I'm aware of at least maybe I do. But

 

Rosanna Catalano  38:21

maybe you have one. It's just behind your back.

 

Nuno Fernandes  38:25

office. I have like 10 of them. But I don't know I've never I don't know I'm not familiar with washing.

 

Rosanna Catalano  38:31

If you knew you could not fail what would you attempt?

 

Nuno Fernandes  38:36

You know, I've always wanted to skydive. You know, I've never done it.

 

Nuno Fernandes  38:46

But I've always wanted to do it. So maybe one day I'll you know, I'll find myself inside the plane with a parachute on my bags.

 

Rosanna Catalano  38:55

What are the top three things you love about living in Florida?

 

Nuno Fernandes  39:01

You know, I can talk more about Miami because that's what I know better. Although, you know, I've traveled to Florida, certainly Orlando and Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach and all these places but but in Miami specifically, I really I very much enjoy the international flavor, you know, the left hand spice of the seat. I think it's very interesting, quite unique. Most of the times I like the weather, you know, except in the summer, but if you think the summer out, the weather is fantastic. And I like that it was becoming and I hope that we don't lose that because it's probably because becoming a real entrepreneurial see, you know, a lot of startups a lot of venture capital coming into the city to support new projects and and I hope that we don't lose that situation or that it comes back rapidly. So it's a very interesting city for a while Miami was more you know, services oriented, you know, tourism, of course, hotels, events, and it still is, but in the last two years and I'm talking before I go I was seeing a lot of entrepreneurial movements, you know, the city, a lot of startups being created a lot of a lot of funds, investing in small projects and new kids with great ideas. And I hope that we can keep that because I think there's a lot of talent here in South Florida and, and sometimes you have to leave the state to develop it. And I don't see why that would be.

 

Rosanna Catalano  40:24

Well, thank you so much for joining us today. wonderful guests.

 

Nuno Fernandes  40:29

Thank you, Rosanna. It's been a pleasure.

 

Rosanna Catalano  40:32

So be sure to subscribe to our podcast on all your favorite podcasting listening platforms. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter. Visit our website to see some extras regarding this episode. Our audio editor for this podcast episode is Joy Tootle with Rocket Ship Consultants. And if you're interested in starting a live stream or podcast, contact joy at rocketshipconsultants.com Thank you for tuning in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juliana Tafur, Documentary Filmmaker & Owner, Orkidea Production Company

Christine Phipps, CEO, Phipps Reporting

Kristie Harris, Associate Vice President of Financial Affairs, University of Central Florida