Alex Andrade, State Representative, Florida House of Representatives



Contact Information for Rep. Andrade

https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=4710&LegislativeTermId=88

Transcript

This is a transcript from The Floridaville podcast.  This transcript was created using artificial intelligence so it may not be an accurate account of what was recorded.

 


ROSANNA CATALANO  0:08 

This is the Floridaville, Get to know the people behind the Florida names you know, I'm your host Rosanna Catalano. On today's episode we get to know Representative Alex Andrade.  Representative Andrade is an attorney from the panhandle of Florida, where he was elected to office in 2018. He now serves on several committees in the Florida Legislature and will participate in his second legislative session as an elected official.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  0:44 

We are in Florida's capital city and our guest today is representative Alex Andrade. Welcome to the show.

REP. ANDRADE

Thanks for having me.

ROSANNA CATALANO

You were first elected to the State House of Representatives in 2018. Tell us who you represent.

 

REP. ANDRADE 0:56 

I represent the district House District two So the western most district It borders Alabama, it covers a South Escambia County, Pensacola Gulf Breeze and the entire Pensacola and Perdido key.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  1:09 

Why did you decide to run for office?

 

REP. ANDRADE 1:13 

I filed for office about a month after Frank White, who was my predecessor decided to run for Attorney General. And I just, you know, I'm going to kind of a romantic about why you should run and I just, you know, I looked around the district, and I thought I was the best for the job.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  1:30 

Why do you think people should run?

 

REP. ANDRADE 1:33 

It really, it comes down to if you look around your friends and family, your community, and you feel that you're the best for the job, you can have a responsibility to run. And I didn't come up with that. My buddy, Anthony Sabatini. He's a freshman as well. We were talking to a group of college students in an internship program here last session. You know, I kind of encourage people to go be value add in their communities. I don't tell them to run for office until never to think about running for office because I never Thought about running for office. But Anthony came from a different perspective. And it was, if you know you're the best for the job, you have a responsibility to run if you actually care about your community.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  2:10 

I'm sure you received a lot of advice when she decided to run for elected office. What was the best piece of advice you received?

 

REP. ANDRADE 2:17 

Oh, man, that's a very good question. I would say probably the best piece of advice about running for office, especially at you know, the smaller level like you're at the state representative level, is your election comes down to dollars and doors, you have to believe in yourself enough to actually pull out your cell phone and go through your phone book and make an ask if every single person even if you haven't spoken to them in you know, two or three years. You have to believe in yourself enough to be willing to hear no a lot to raise the money necessary especially in your first race. If you're an unknown candidate like me. You just gotta you gotta actually fervently believe that, you know, you're doing this for the right reasons and enough people are going to, you know, support you and believe in you to help you get there?

 

Rosanna Catalano 3:01 

Did you have to give yourself a lot of pep talks?

 

Alex Andrade 3:06 

Now, I wouldn't say pep talks. There's a lot of anxiety. But again, I mean people think that all campaigns are funded by big government or I mean big, big businesses or interest groups, your first campaign, your very first campaign whatever you're doing, it's really your friends and family. So there is more probably just more anxiety in the fact that you know, my little brother is a police officer up in Michigan they don't pay police officers very well but he sent me the max contribution for at the state level, which is thousand bucks and so when you get when you have close people who you know show you that they believe in you, there's some anxiety that goes along with it and you feel very responsible to do a good job because of being an elected officials a full- time job and can consume your life and the lives of those closest to you. How did you come to the decision that the time was right for you to throw your hat in the ring?

 

Alex Andrade 4:00 

It's funny that you call it a full time position because it's supposed to not be and I do have a full time job, I'm practicing attorney. But you know, you got to go back to your family. Right now. It's just me, my wife and our dog dash, you go back, you talk to your family, you make sure that everyone's committed and kind of understands what it's going to take, you know, to serve and to actually go through the process of an election. And as long as you're your wife, your kids, whoever, you know, you go home to every night are okay with it, or willing to, you know, put up with it. That's, that's really the first test.

 

Rosanna Catalano 4:32 

Describe the moment on the campaign trail when you thought, holy cow, I'm really doing this, I could win this.

 

Alex Andrade 4:39 

So I had a unique race first.

 

Alex Andrade 4:42 

So Northwest Florida only has seven state representatives west of Tallahassee out of 120. So we're severely out number to be effective. As a member of such a small delegation. You have to be really good team player. And you kind of have to put you know, you you can't make Be a burden under people. So I got in. And I worked very hard. I took a lot of people who were talking about running for office to coffee. I said, This is my plan. This is what I want to do. If you want to run against me go with God, you know, I won't be hurt or offended, but I'd rather have you on my team. And my whole campaign strategy, aside from raising as much money as possible was to just go get the supportive people who at one point might have thought about running against me or oppose me somehow. And I was lucky enough that the vast majority people I took the coffee didn't run against me. They ended up supporting me after after that coffee. I don't have an opponent until two days for qualifying in June, and the election was in August. So my election was a little bit different in that capacity. So for the majority of the time, I was running from October of 2017. until June of 2018. I didn't have an opponent, so everybody just kind of figured I was the de facto nominee

 

Rosanna Catalano 5:54 

For listeners that have never come to Tallahassee and participated in a legislative session. Can you describe what it is like? To come to Tallahassee as a legislator for the first time.

 

Unknown Speaker  6:03 

Yeah,

 

Alex Andrade 6:04 

one it's kind of to be on the floor for the first time to have your your nameplate on a desk on the floor. It's kind of surreal. I would say it's still a little surreal to come to Tallahassee, you know, drive. So it's a four hour drive with the time change to Tallahassee, it's a two hour drive back down to Pensacola with the time change to go down, I tend to kind of have to, you know, put off the real world stuff that you're leaving behind in Pensacola and kind of put on the role of the state representative. It is surreal. You know, you get to play a small role in a very significant process, you know, and you think about all the people that came before you and all the significant things that they've done, the day to day can sometimes be a little mundane meetings can sometimes feel purposeless, you spend a lot of time sitting and waiting, but it's fast paced, and then it's dead silent. And then it's the it's the process of you know, as conservative legislators, we're not in the business of making new law necessarily. We try not to be but I mean, the the process of running the 14th largest hurt by GDP, the 14th largest economy in the world is it's incredible. It's Yeah, I mean, I I still sometimes just can't understand why anybody you know, would allow me to be able to play play such a cool role in this process.

 

Rosanna Catalano 7:14 

Sometimes companies have an onboarding process for new employees. Was there any kind of training for you as a new legislator?

 

Alex Andrade 7:21 

House Majority and house administration might be a little miffed when I say this, but for legislators themselves? No, not really. There. There is some onboarding for staff and that's critical, you know, a lot of staff members to staff your, as a state representative, you get the standard one legislative aide, one district secretary, your legislative aide travels with you to Tallahassee and works with the Intel hassey. And your district Secretary usually stays home and is the main point of contact for constituent issues and local government, local groups. There's great training and support for staff, but as legislators, you know, your your job role and your you know your responsibilities. It's kind dictated by your voters back home. So there's there's somewhat of a trust that you come over here knowing what the job entails, I guess. And there's somewhat of a difference in the fact that each legislator has a different style. I mean, I would say, my, my daily activity differs greatly to some other members because some of their members don't see their role the same way that I see my role.

 

Rosanna Catalano 8:22 

You are on a number of committees commerce, government operations and technology Appropriations Subcommittee, health market reform subcommittee, Criminal Justice subcommittee, and oversight, transparency and public management subcommittee. Can you explain to our listeners how committee assignments are made?

 

Alex Andrade 8:38 

That's a great question. I'd like to actually ask people in leadership committee assignments are made sometimes to see my first my first session, I was on five committees. I kept three of those going to this session I asked on to health marker reform, and I asked on a criminal justice. It's really dictated by leadership, you know, the Speaker's office and who he designates as his deputies. They make the determination and you're just kind of grateful for whatever they give you. I mean, the committee's that I have are incredible. I'm very fortunate to be in the silos that I'm in. Because committees are broken down by silo, you know, you have the Commerce Committee, and then I believe you have five subcommittees under it. And those five subcommittees are just more specific versions of what commerce is. And then they all kind of when you have a bill that's referred to committees. If it's a commerce related bill, it'll start at least one or two those subcommittees before it goes to the big Commerce Committee before it's ready to get heard on the floor.

 

Rosanna Catalano 9:33 

What experience in your life best helps you prepare for your life as an elected official?

 

Alex Andrade 9:39 

So that is a very good question, because, you know, there's the technical preparation, right, so I was fortunate enough to do a fellowship and Governor Scott's office called the gubernatorial fellowship. The program is modeled after the White House fellowship. They brings grad students from around the state to Tallahassee, I was the last you to my third year at USF at the time It pays for that year of school. So I got to go and be a what's called a visiting student at FSU. And then you work full time in a state agency. So I got to go work for a non facade over at the Department of Transportation in the executive office at D ot. And I just got this massive wealth of experience that I think I was 2324 years old, you know, navigating the legislative process, from the executive side, and learning how state agencies run. So that definitely prepared me for the deep in depth, civic side of it. I would say you also have the emotional component to it. And growing up, I had a lot of humbling opportunities, and a lot of opportunities to always be reminded that I'm very lucky and very blessed. So always remembering where you came from. And always just remembering to be grateful is probably just as important as the Civic side of understanding what the actual processes

 

Rosanna Catalano 1:00 

Take us back way back and tell us where you were born and raised and what your home life was like growing up.

 

Alex Andrade 11:05 

I was born in the Cayman Islands. My dad is Jamaican, monstrum, Alabama. So after they met and got married, instead of moving back to Jamaica, they moved to the Cayman Islands, which is where my older brother Colin and I were both born, our dad had a business in the Cayman Islands and manufactured hurricane shutters and aluminum railing. But if you're not a citizen of the island, you can't own your own business. So he was, I guess, a little frustrated, you know, owning 49% of a company that he built from the ground up, and we moved to South Florida when I was very young. Hurricane Andrew happened, I think, maybe a year after we moved there, and all the codes changed. And so hurricane shutters became a lot more necessary. Insurance companies started requiring hurricane shutters on new construction. So we grew up understanding how lucky we were one living United States a place that would allow my dad owners in business, you know, to to live in the state of Florida, which had this incredible economy. And, you know, we just were always raised being reminded how lucky we were to live here and be here. I'm the middle son of three. My little brother Barry was born in Coral Springs. And we lived in Coral Springs growing up. But you know, we were all you know, focused on sports and, you know, kind of just the way you imagined three boys would be interested in and doing and my older brother is now a pastor and my little brother is now like I said, a police officer up in Michigan and my mom's a teacher. She's a public school teacher. She teaches math down in Deerfield Beach High School.

 

Rosanna Catalano 12:31 

That is my alma mater. You're gonna be careful feet high school globex How would you describe yourself as a child?

 

Alex Andrade 12:40 

So when I was born in Cayman Islands, I was born four weeks early in the cayman islands of time didn't have maybe the best medical staff or technology. So my mom's water broke actually we poor I was born and because they didn't have the capability to give birth. I guess or induce birth at five weeks, they waited a week and because of that I suffered a lot of trauma. You can develop cerebral palsy if you suffered traumatic birth, you know, I was lucky and very, very fortunate, very blessed that when I was born, I was I was I was bruised, that obviously suffered trauma was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at a very young age. But I was very fortunate in the fact that it was a mild case. You know, I got a lot of physical therapy growing up, you know, and because of the physical therapy because of, you know, the attention because I had two parents who both cared about me very much, you know, I was able to have a very normal childhood focus on you know, playing football playing soccer, I would say that, you know, school came pretty easy, but that also means sometimes you can be a little intellectually lazy, you know, I'm probably always gonna be a little self conscious about my work ethic. You know, I tend to overcorrect. Probably because of it. But yeah, I mean, I love reading books. I love learning. And you know, I love to you debating, I was a Presbyterian Protestant kid going to a Catholic High School. So if you ask my theology teachers in high school what I was like, that probably sounds a little combative, but yeah, I mean, I just, you know, sweet, nice guy never really gotten any fights or anything. And, you know, I just always kind of wanted to make everybody happy.

 

Rosanna Catalano 14:19 

I'm not sure I should admit, admit this. But in preparing for your visit today, stalked you a bit online, I noticed many photos of your wife and your dog. Tell us a little about them.

 

Alex Andrade 14:27 

So going back to when you have the conversation with your family before you decide to run for office. Sometimes they'll give you conditions and the one main condition of running for office was if I won the election, if we won the election, my wife was going to get a dog so she decided to get a mini golden doodle and we called him well she got she obviously got to give him his first name dash but I was actually talking with a friend of mine another state representative Josie Tomko, because Jessica my wife said that, you know, magnanimously said I could give him a middle name. And I'm a big big little Wayne fan and big rap fan so we named him dash Young Money and Ronnie because Young Money is the label that little Wayne started after leaving cash money when he was when he was a coming up as a rapper but

 

Rosanna Catalano 15:16 

I love everything about that story.

 

Alex Andrade 15:18 

I mean, I gotta give credit to josey but no dashes dashes a year old now. He's you know, got a lot of energy. He's very affectionate dog. You know, we got him the same month I started coming over to Tallahassee so for the first four months he was living with us I was almost never home you know, I was traveling or working or something. And so it took him a little bit longer to warm up to me then did to Jessica and he is not supposed to sleep in our bed but uh, you know, we I mean, we create trained him in preparation so he wouldn't sleep in our bed. But I came home after this for months and he taken my spot and now he's a very affectionate sweet dog, and we're actually gonna get a second dog I've been told in June of next year. I've been told it's going to be a it's called a snoodle. Schnauzer poodle. So it'll be a little bit smaller than dash. She's about 30 pounds.

 

Rosanna Catalano  16:08 

How did you meet your wife, Jessica?

 

Alex Andrade 16:10 

We met fall freshman year at the University of Florida. So I was interning at the time and she was in a sorority. And if you're familiar with how fraternities and sororities are, you'll have the popular sororities, and the not so popular stories and the positive turns and also popular turns. I would say my fraternity was one of the not so popular fraternities in my life, Jessica is was definitely one of the more popular sororities but you there's a freshman charity event where you get randomly paired fraternities and sororities called new member lip sync, and they paired our two organizations together. And so we were dance partners in a dance competition fall freshman year us and we've been dating ever since.

 

Rosanna Catalano 16:50 

What was your major at the University of Florida?

 

Alex Andrade 16:52 

I majored in advertising I would say for for both Jessica and I were our focus was more involvement. You know, we took care of school. We were always good students. But the University of Florida in our experience was just such a great breeding ground for leadership and experiences. You know, as a board member for a charity called a dance marathon a US which raises millions of dollars for Children's Hospital there. You know, Jessica was trusted with a one and a half million dollar budget or something like that. It's a run us homecoming. We were both in involved. Well, Jessica was involved in student government. I was more involved in the charity and I was also a cheerleader at USF. So yeah, I mean are while your major is important for learning in college, the experiences you get when you're 18 1920 years old, if you're seeking them out, you'll you'll be entrusted with you know, a lot of responsibility if you go seek it out. And so I would say our real major was involvement us.

 

Rosanna Catalano 17:45 

I know you are an attorney and you attended the University of Florida's law school, why did you choose to go to law school?

 

Alex Andrade 17:50 

So I can give you you know, the kind of political answer that honest answer and I'm going to probably just give you the honest answer because I never want to go to college. And you know, I wanted to go and listen The Army or go be a missionary, my parents my dad especially so i'm i'm very white. So when you hear that I'm Jamaican a lot of people comment on the fact that I don't look Jamaican I didn't and I don't but Jamaica is not ever really been a it's not as you would imagine, or a racial system being like the South is, you know, historically it's always been more focused on class and because of that Jamaicans really do put a high emphasis on education and I didn't realize how important that was until I told my parents junior year of high school that I didn't want to go to college and you know, my dad sat me down and was like this is a more important than you think and if you don't do this will definitely be this point and we might disown you so I'm went to college. I went to University of Florida because bright futures and for prepaid you know, allowed me to go there for free. I wasn't convinced I wanted to go in higher ed at all and then I met Jessica is very ambitious and very focused and and she's known as you want to go to law school since forever and so the real answer about why went to law school least initially was I figured I couldn't make less money than my wife. So we both went to law school, you know, but we we both really took to it.

 

Rosanna Catalano 19:07 

What extracurricular activities Did you participate in while in law school?

 

Alex Andrade 19:11 

I was on the trial team. And then I was the Chief Justice of the Student Government Supreme Court.

 

Rosanna Catalano 19:18 

Explain to us what that is.

 

Alex Andrade 19:20 

So, so student government, especially at a large university, like us, involves, you know, Student Senate, which a lot of people are probably familiar with, you know, us at the time the Student Senate I think controlled the 15 to $20 million student activity and services budget. So they collected these taxes really from students and they distribute the money, then you have the executive side soon by the president, vice president down the line. And then you have to have the organians at the judiciary to kind of interpret the rules of the student government and help navigate you know, elections violations and rules violations for anything that the other two branches are doing so it's it's just a mini mini version of an actual government.

 

Rosanna Catalano 20:00 

What was your first job out of law school?

 

Alex Andrade 20:02 

My first job out of law school was at Morehead Westmoreland where I still am today. We're a small Civil Defense firm over in Pensacola.

 

Rosanna Catalano 20:10 

On the show, we'd like to discuss the entrepreneurial spirit, which is an attitude and approach to thinking that actively seeks out change rather than waiting to adapt to change. It's a mindset that embraces critical questioning innovation, service and continuous improvement. Tell us in what ways if any of these qualities have shaped your career or your life?

 

Alex Andrade 20:29 

Well, I mean, the there's there's two, I guess, entrepreneurial experiences I've had in the past few years. I would say that one running for office for the first time is very entrepreneurial, you're taking a huge risk, you're taking a huge time, risk, a huge financial risk, and you're you're taking the chance that you're going to win and it's going to pan out for you. So you're having the backdrop of us understanding how to be humble and work within a process definitely helped in that capacity. But the other one is, you know, going back to what I normally tell people is especially young people who are in college, and When I get involved in some kind of a leadership role wherever you move after college is still focused on the community find niches to fill an opportunity to be of service without asking for respect or a leadership role. And my wife and I and a friend of ours named Walker Wilson started a charity in Pensacola a few years back called on bikes. And what we do is we buy bikes wholesale from a large bike manufacturer. And then we have this massive event where we have people come and help us assemble these bikes that come on assembled and then we give them to the charities in town that serve kids throughout the year. You know, like our local foster care program families first foster care Guardian Litem, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, boys and girls club and so this Christmas will actually be given out I think about 600 bikes. I just placed the bike order this week. Wow. And that's entrepreneurial as well. You know, you're starting up a business you have to go through the 501 c three process, you get your tax exemption, and then you have to go again and you have to go put your, you know, believe in your organization enough to go ask people for money and You know we've done a very good job of it and then aside from the the bike build itself and then giving these bikes to the charities who then distribute it to the kids, we don't give directly to kids we want to give to the charities in town to do so much more for children, the community, the opportunity have that when at Christmas, you know, we have a big thank you event for our sponsors where we shut down the streets in Pensacola. We have a big slow ride bike event where, you know, 300 400 people come on their bikes and we just have this big old party and people you know, ride through this beautiful Pentacles if you've never been to Pensacola, it's a beautiful downtown.

 

Alex Andrade 22:33 

It's right on the water.  It's got a ton of history and character. And you get to go ride around, you know, with the streets closed for an hour like an open Park and then come back to home base and have a big, you know, band and some beer if you're of age and, you know, hang out and celebrate.

 

Rosanna Catalano 22:48 

That sounds amazing. Getting back to your current work at the legislature, what do you hope to accomplish for the constituents in your district.

 

Alex Andrade 22:58 

So one thing that we will might not realize about being a legislator is you get to do constituent service year round. The Florida Legislature is part time as far as session goes, you know, sessions, 60 days, two months and then you have committee weeks prior, I get to go help constituents every time they call my office and half my job is making sure that people know to call my office. And then you know, a constituent will call us a they have an issue with dbpr department business Professional Regulation with their license or something and we'll go work it up with them and help them navigate the process of getting their issue resolved with a state agency. So I mean, we do that all the time. And I that's probably one of my favorite parts of the job, because you get to go provide actual direct benefit to a constituent on a more much more personal level. The other component obviously is passing a budget which is our one constitutional requirement as legislators and passing you know, laws or changing laws, as you see fit last year I got to, I was fortunate enough to be allowed to run the bill that provided provides death benefits for men and women in uniform who die overseas to their families. So Florida is always provided a death benefit to the spouses and children of police officers and firefighters if they die in line of service, where your spouse and children go to a state university for free, and you'll get a financial stipend. But we didn't do the same thing for many women in the military. So I was very, like I said, fortunate to be allowed to run that bill last year to provide you know, that same service to a lot of the families in Pensacola come from the military, we're high military per capita area, we have several really incredible bases where the home to the Blue Angels, I get to see them practice every week. So I would say that's one legislative direct benefit, you know, and then obviously, always it's fighting for the funds to make sure that our infrastructure is as good as possible. You know, roads, bridges, healthcare, reimbursement rates for the organizations that provide medical services to different communities, different subsets of our community. You know, it's it's you're always fighting for the funds to make sure everyone getting the support they need and deserve.

 

Alex Andrade 25:03 

Like to end our show with a little fun by asking all our guests the same seven questions. What would people be surprised to know about you?

 

Alex Andrade 25:12 

So I mentioned as a cheerleader that I'm half Jamaican, I have cerebral palsy, which are the usually the three more interesting facts about me. I've also mentioned that I'm a big fan of rap. Pretty open book. And as a 30 year old on the younger side of the legislature, you can be probably calling social media and I'm pretty accessible. Man, aside from that, there's not much else I can really say right now.

 

Rosanna Catalano 25:41 

When you have guests in town, where is your favorite place to take them?

 

Alex Andrade 25:45 

Those not a specific place but I love telling taking them to Palafox street which is Main Street downtown Pensacola. Like I said Pensacola is a very old town. You know, we go back hundreds of years. And Palafox has restaurants and And coffee shops and bars. And it's just so beautiful. And I love showing it off because we really do just have. I mean, the state of Florida was accepted as a state from the Spanish in my district. Andrew Jackson accepted this the state of Florida from Spain, in the shadow of where my district offices So, you know, showing the history of pentacles always a lot of fun.

 

Rosanna Catalano 26:23 

What is the name of a book you recently read that you could not put down or the name of a show you enjoyed binge watching?

 

Alex Andrade 26:30 

So I recently read a book I'm on a criminal justice subcommittee and I was you know, Jerry Sprouse Chris browse a big, you know, Criminal Justice expert. He's got a passion for the subject. And he told me to read a book called locked in, which is probably one of the more intellectually honest books about our prison population. And you know, how the United States especially as you know, developed what a lot of people say is an issue with mass incarceration. reading that book was definitely enlightening. It's got a lot of data in it but you know, talking about the distinction between violent offenders repeat offenders and non violent offenders and actually seeing you know why people actually go to prison which is a lot more reasonable than I think a lot of people think. You know, people aren't, you know, walking the street with a dime Bag of Weed and going to prison for 10 years. It was it was definitely very helpful for me to gain more perspective

 

Rosanna Catalano 27:25 

Among your close family and friends, what are you best known for?

 

Alex Andrade 27:30 

I would probably say I'm the most impulsive.

 

Unknown Speaker  27:34 

My, my wife and my my buddy Walker like telling the joke that we were at dinner one night, and it was one of the first cold nights in Pensacola and I just got this wild hair that we needed to have a bonfire that night, so I actually got it from dinner and went home to actually get the fire ready. So when they were done with dinner, and we would have all our friends over to our house and the bonfire would be going so, um, I wouldn't say I'm you know, shoot first ask questions later, necessarily. But once I decide something's right thing to do, I definitely just just go at it full force.

 

Rosanna Catalano 28:06 

If you have a nickname Who gave it to you?

 

Alex Andrade 28:08 

Oh, man.  It's a terrible nickname and I hate it. It's just, it's silly when you go to university for to get assigned an email, and my first name is actually Robert. So my email was our Alex and Roddy. And for whatever reason, my mother in law thought that my nickname was Ralex because I guess she didn't realize that my first name was Robert. And it just stuck. And it's you know, I hate being called her Alex and but people like doing it to get my goat and then the other one actually came from Brad Drake share Brad Drake.

 

Unknown Speaker  28:41 

last session.

 

Rosanna Catalano 28:42 

Oh, you are calling him out right now.

 

Alex Andrade 28:44 

My name my name is not the easiest route and I'm actually you know, especially the first session as an unknown you know, new state rep. committee staff difficulty pronouncing My name when they call it roll so Indrawati would become a dandy Andrew de Andrade and To haze you on your first bill, when you bring your first bill up in committee. You'll get hazed as a new Rep. And Chair Drake decided throughout my first bill presentation, his committee to address me by a different version of my last name, the entire time, you know, Nandi and so on. And on my way out the door, he said, Thank you, Representative Android. And that one also stuck.  So there's a lot of a lot of other representatives of Android when they see me.

 

Rosanna Catalano 29:29 

If you knew you could not fail, what would you attempt?

 

Alex Andrade  29:34 

Huh? Do you watch The Office ever? love that show! Okay. Do you remember when when they asked the same question about what's his biggest dream, just perform the perfect cartwheel? If not, so if not, it's one. It's one of my favorite scenes who's just like the sweet, weird, sincere moment for this bizarre character named creed each want to execute the perfect cartwheel.  And that was that was his life’s dream.

 

Alex Andrade  29:56 

I probably, you know, as a cheerleader, I never got to do a backtalk in No, just a standing backflip. I had a game because they never trusted me too, so I probably just try and do backflips.

 

Rosanna Catalano 30:06 

What are the top three things you love about living in Florida?

 

Alex Andrade  30:11 

The weather, the people, and the no state income tax

 

Rosanna Catalano 30:17 

Rep, it's been an absolute pleasure speaking with you today.

 

Rosanna Catalano 30:25 

Don't forget to subscribe to our podcast. For more information on our show, please visit us on our website, the Florida bill. com. Be sure to like our Facebook page so that you can learn more about upcoming episodes. We would love to hear your feedback and ideas for future episodes, so be sure to email us. Our email address is feedback@theFloridaville com. Thank you for listening


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juliana Tafur, Documentary Filmmaker & Owner, Orkidea Production Company

Christine Phipps, CEO, Phipps Reporting

Kristie Harris, Associate Vice President of Financial Affairs, University of Central Florida