Stacey Steinberg, Professor, University of Florida Levin College of Law, and Author





Contact  

Growing Up Shared


Transcript

This is a transcript from The Floridaville podcast.  This transcript was created using artificial intelligence so it may not be an accurate account of what was recorded.

Rosanna Catalano  0:08  
This is the Floridaville. Get to know the people behind the Florida names you know, I'm your host Rosanna Catalano. On this episode we get to know Stacey Steinberg, a law professor at the University of Florida, and an author whose work has been quoted by many news outlets, including CNN, NPR, CBS News, the Atlantic and the Washington Post. She writes about children and the concept of "sharenting", which is the overuse of social media by parents to share content on their children.

We are recording remotely today, rather than in our podcast recording studio. I'm in my home in Tallahassee and our guest today is Stacey Steinberg who is speaking to us from her home in Gainesville, Florida. Welcome to the show.

Stacey Steinberg  0:58  
Thank you so much for having me.

Rosanna Catalano  1:00  
My family and I have been home practicing social distancing because of the corona virus for more than a month now, how are you and your family coping? Are you able to work from home? 

Stacey Steinberg  1:10  
We are. It's been difficult and challenging because there's so many unknowns I think right now and you know, worried for, for people safety. But as far as us and our little bubble, I think we're doing pretty well. I'm working from home. My husband is also an attorney, and he is working from home. And we have three kids who all have their own zoom schedules. So between my teaching on Zoom and going to court on Zoom and my husband working and being on Zoom, where I guess we're using a lot of bandwidth, if that's still the word that that we use to get our work done, but it's been pretty good. We actually finished a puzzle last night so I'd say we're winning. Oh, fantastic. We've been attacking board games as well here in my house.

Rosanna Catalano  1:52  
So you supervise the Gator team child juvenile law clinic at the University of Florida's law school. Can you tell us about your work there?

Stacey Steinberg  2:00  
Sure. So first of all, I think I have like the greatest job in the world. And I feel so lucky to have it and to be able to go to work, even though it's virtually right now, at the law school at the law school right now what I do is I run the juvenile law clinic. And what that means is that I supervise advanced law students who are interested in juvenile law. And we together with the students, we represent kids who are going through various forms of legal proceedings. Most of our cases involve kids who are in the dependency system, meaning they were abused or neglected or abandoned. And the dependency court the child welfare court is protecting them trying to take care of them, and we are their voice in court. So we go to court and advocate for what the child wants. I work with a small handful of students, but we work very closely together. This semester, the students spent nine hours and they got nine hours of credit for the class, which equates to about 27 hours a week of work for the day. juvenile law clinic, we also have kids who are involved in the delinquency system. Kids who have special education needs kids who need services through the agency for persons with disabilities. Really, we run the gamut. The motto for the clinic is one child, one advocate one voice. And so what we really tried to do is to be a central hub for that child to make sure that all of their legal needs are addressed.

Rosanna Catalano  3:24  
About how many kids are involved in your clinic, how many cases do you handle?

Stacey Steinberg  3:29  
So it depends. Anything from I'd say, 14 to 35, depending on what the needs are in the community and how many students I have in the clinic. Some cases are more intensive than others. And so what I tried to do is to ensure that not only are the kids that we represent getting getting excellent representation, but that the students are able to get meaningful feedback on their work. Our mission is multifaceted. So while part of it is is serving the kids and serving the community. A big part of it is teaching students how to be lawyers. And so we are an in-house law firm. And with every decision that we make as a clinic with every document that we file, we really try to take the time to first of all, make sure it's right. But to also use it as a teaching opportunity so that if students experienced that something similar in their law practice, they will have a frame of reference to think about it and to know that they spent time talking about it, working through it, studying it with a professor.

Rosanna Catalano  4:28  
You're an author of many articles and books. Can you share with us the focus of your writing and research?

Stacey Steinberg  4:34  
Sure, I think I'm kind of an accidental scholar and accidental author. I've always loved to write but I wouldn't say that I grew up thinking I was particularly good at writing. I was on the debate team and really thrived in student government and trial team going through college and law school. Writing was just something that I did for fun in my spare time. But as I got older and started to write even more I got an amazing opportunity to to start to write for more public outlets. And my writing really focused on my experiences as a mother, combined with my experience as a lawyer, I think I was really taken aback by how difficult it was to blend those two roles. You know, I went to law school, like prepared to, you know, change the world with my law degree. But you know, I think I always thought I could do it all I could have kids and I could work and it would be pretty seamless. No one ever really explained to me that doing it all at once is really, really challenging. And so writing became an outlet for me to express that. My right my research now really focuses on the intersection of a child's right to privacy and a parent's right to share their child's story on social media. And so it kind of found its genesis and self reflection. I was I was thinking a lot about children's rights because I've always been, you know, a lawyer that focuses on issues involving kids, but I was also a mom who loves to share on social media. And someone who had recently found that photography was a hobby that, you know, I really love. And I was helping families share their stories on social media as well. And so those practices that I had kind of culminated into this question that I was struggling with, with what part of the story is mine to tell as a parent, and what part of the story of a child's life really needs to be left for them to decide if and when they tell it themselves? And so I wrote at that point, I was writing short pieces for the Washington Post's on parenting column. And I wrote a very short essay about this, this kind of struggle that I was going through. And at the time, the University of Florida Levin College of Law had just hired a new dean Dean Laura Rosenbury, and she was a children. She is a children's rights scholar, and she really encouraged me to dig deeper and to think about looking at this issue through a legal lens at first I was really nervous about it because I did again, I even though I was teaching legal writing at the time, and I had confidence filing a document with the court, I just didn't see myself as an academic writer. But Dean Rosenbury was really, she was really inspirational. She was willing to work with me, she'd meet me at a coffee shop on a Sunday. And I got through this. And there were a number of other law professors who also helped me and I wrote an academic piece, which I think was the first academic article, especially in the United States that looked at what is now often called Sharon Ting, or the intersection of a parent's right to share and a child's interest in privacy. So a lot of my work has stemmed from that and continuing to look at Children's privacy in the context of social media and how kids use social media. But I really expand a lot. Last night, I was up until the wee hours working on a piece about childhood trauma and how stress from COVID-19 might affect kids. So I'd say I'm not my limitation is only that I generally write about issues involving kids.

Rosanna Catalano  8:00  
Can we look for that COVID-19 piece somewhere? Where can we find it? 

Stacey Steinberg  8:03  
So it's been tentatively accepted by the New York Times. And so it still has to go through a few rounds of editing and I don't know when it will come out. But my fingers are crossed that it will run in the New York Times within the next couple weeks. Oh, fantastic.

Rosanna Catalano  8:17  
Your upcoming book "Growing Up Shared" comes out in a couple months. Can you share with our listeners, what your book is about?

Stacey Steinberg  8:23  
My book, "Growing Up Shared" is, I like to call it a nonfiction beach read. It's not something that is going to be super heavy that you need to sit down with a highlighter to read. But it's going to be a very informational book about how parents can share on social media in a smarter way. And what we can do to keep our family safe in a no privacy world, it combines some memoir, it talks about how I got into this work and how I've personally struggled with figuring out how to walk this fine line of sharing but not over sharing. And it pulls from research from all over the world with how Kids are affected by the information we share online and how the digital footprint that we leave in childhoods week could affect them one day when they get older, I'm really excited for the book. And I think that it will be something that not only parents can appreciate, and get a lot out of, but I think grandparents, aunts, uncles, and definitely policymakers really should read the book. A lot of what I include in the book is kind of a legal explanation or legal overview of First Amendment protections and privacy interests or privacy rights. And it includes some ideas for how the state or the federal government might be able to better tailor their policies so that they are able to help protect kids online. It's not just about limiting parents. It's really about educating parents, and also thinking about shifting some of the burdens on to companies and marketers with regards to what they do with the information that parents share

Rosanna Catalano  9:58  
While researching your background for this interview today, I came across a quote of yours that I think hits home for me as a parent raising kids in the age of social media, and perhaps hits home with some other parents.  You said, "we're in no way trying to silence parents voices. At the same time, we recognize that children might have an interest in entering adulthood free to create their own digital footprint." Do you have any advice for parents like me trying to navigate these digital waters? 

Unknown Speaker  10:30  
Sure. I think the first piece of advice I would give parents who are ready to come to the table and really think about this is not to judge themselves. One of my favorite quotes is by Maya Angelou and she says, "Do the best you can until you know better and then do better." It's actually on my Facebook profile page as like my my quote, I guess, and it really defines how I look at online sharing. There is no playbook to guide parents as they tried to figure out how to share online there's no way to look Get what my parents did and compare it to what your parents did and see how that affected us. We didn't grow up watching people share and kind of thinking to ourselves how it would be best or, or having teachers talk to us about the, you know, the importance of a digital footprint. We didn't have TV shows or sitcoms that made fun of parents over sharing, we had nothing. And so really, we are the first generation of parents to raise our kids in a digital environment, and our kids are the first generation to grow up shared. And what that means is that we need to start from the beginning and think about what, what right do kids have in controlling their digital footprint and What rights do we have as parents to tell our stories? And how can both of those rights exist in harmony? I tell you, no, I say that. I'm not trying to silence parents voices, not just because parents have a right to speak but because parents have really important things to say. And I want to make sure that parents don't run away from the Power of narratives simply because they, because I wrote a book that said shared thing is bad because I'm not saying that I want parents to think about what they say and be thoughtful about it. And really just just come to the table so that we can all have a conversation about it. Because there's just so much we still don't know.

COMMERCIAL  12:23  
This episode of the Floridaville is brought to you by Rocket Ship Consultants. Let us help you launch your career, your business, or your podcast. For more information, visit our website at rocketshipconsultants.com.

Rosanna Catalano  12:42  
How did you make the decision to write a book and how did you get it published?

Stacey Steinberg  12:48  
Great question. So when I started to write and write about parenting or write about kids privacy on social media, it's kind of slow going at first. The first article that I wrote about the topic was in 2015. By 2016, I was presenting the topic at the double ALS Association for American law schools kind of just as like a very basic idea, like maybe a 10 minute presentation. And and I was kind of slowly picking away at the process of writing and figuring out that I actually really enjoyed writing and doing the legal research. In at the end of 2016, I had the opportunity to present some of this research with a colleague who at the time was a pediatrician at the University of Florida, UF Health, and we presented our research the American Academy of Pediatrics. Now we thought we were going to the AP conference, which was held in California that year, you know, to a boardroom to maybe 20 or 30 people, but somehow we ended up presenting it in like the Grand Ballroom to 2000 people. And all of a sudden, this little idea that I was thinking about became a huge idea that many journalists in the media wanted to interview me about, many doctors were interested in and, and all of a sudden, it just kind of hit me that, that maybe I do have something important to say. But even more importantly, maybe this is a topic that other people want to talk about. And so that conference was in November. And at the time, it was like daily news articles about this, you know, intersection. And, and a friend of mine said, Hey, have you ever thought of writing a book? And I kind of laughed because yeah, I've thought about writing a book since I was about eight years old. But I still really struggled to like, say, Yes, I'm a writer. Like even though I had been writing I still just had so much insecurity about it. But it was something that was always on my bucket list. And when you teach at the time, I was teaching in the first year curriculum, and I was pretty much done. It was in December, and so I decided to reach out to some agents and I was really fortunate to find my agent. Her name is Stacy Glick and she guided me through the process of writing a proposal. Things really slowed down though after I wrote the proposal. And we sent it out to publishers in the beginning of 2017. But it took 18 months before that proposal turned into a book deal. I was told no many, many times by many publishers and and what's interesting is that that proposal over those 18 months really changed. With each rejection that I got, I think, had I written the book in at the end of 2016. When I just kind of come back from from the American Academy of Pediatrics, my book would have taken on a really different shape than it takes on now. And what I mean by that is, when I started doing this research, I my pendulum swung really fast. I went from sharing all the time to feeling like, I guess, really guilty for sharing and so everything that I shared, like it was some I thought maybe I didn't think I should be sharing and so my book was really prescriptive. I guess I'm not sure if that's the right word, but like it was telling parents not to share and tearing parents that they should be scared to share. And here's all the reasons why parents should be scared to share. But over those 18 months, I revised and rewrote that that proposal so many times and talked to so many parents and continued to research this topic. And the proposal that that that did, I guess you could say bite was actually a very different book than the book that I initially set out to write. And I think that the book is, it kind of comes back to that quote that you said that we're not trying to silence parents voices a lot, I guess changed for me during that year, I really saw the power of narratives and how being brave and vulnerable could really benefit an individual benefit a family benefit communities, and the role of narrative and the role of being open and sharing takes a higher precedence in the book now than it would have backed them and, and so in some ways, I'm really glad that it took 18 months to find the publisher. Because I don't think I was ready to write it, you know when I first set out to which is interesting, because if you would have told me in December of 2016, that I wouldn't have a book deal until May of 2019. I don't think I would have kept my button the chair, but I did end up finally in getting an offer from sourcebooks. After I had revised the proposal, ironically, I got the book, the offer the same week that I got my new job as the supervisor of the Gator team child juvenile law clinic. So it was it was quite a busy week, and I wasn't able to actually fully accept the offer for another couple of months while I kind of got my feet planted in Law Clinic.

Rosanna Catalano  17:40  
Amazing how timing works. Yeah. What advice do you have for listeners with expertise that want to write and publish a book? 

Stacey Steinberg  17:48  
I think that my advice would be to start writing to give yourself a goal for how many words you want to write a day, whether it's 100 or 1000. And just let it take shape on the page, I think so many people are scared that they have to have the perfect word that they don't write any words at all. But those first drafts are so important. Those first words are so important. And so I would recommend that if somebody wants to write a book that they even if life is busy, that they don't wait to write their first sentence. And I'd also say that it's really important to figure out a way to enjoy the process like and I'm still working on that enjoy the process of writing, instead of being so anxious and excited for the day that the book is published, or the day that the contract comes out of the day that the article comes out. So So I guess my advice is to sit down and work at it and to find a community. I'm really fortunate in that I have a community on Facebook that lots anyone who's interested in writing, come join. It's called hashtag am writing. And I have some really great writing mentors in there who lift me up. Then I listen to podcasts that the founders of the group do and it kind of gives me like a weekly reminder of why I do this work and how I can do this work better.

Rosanna Catalano  19:01  
Can you give that website again?

Stacey Steinberg  19:04  
Sure. The podcast is #amwriting and it's a is both a Facebook group and a podcast. I think that the I'm not sure the website #amwriting is what it is called. And they're also on Twitter. It looks like their homepage is amwritingpodcast.com actually.

Rosanna Catalano  19:24  
In addition to writing, you're also a photographer.  On your website, Stacey Steinberg, you share a number of beautiful photographs. I noticed that many of your photographs were of children fighting cancer or other illness. How did you get involved in taking these touching photos?

Stacey Steinberg  19:42  
Thank you so much. So  before I was a law professor, at one point I was prosecutor and then as an attorney for children's legal services, and in both of those roles, I saw kids going through unimaginable pain, but I would also see them laughing and smiling. During their depositions or coming to my office and drawing me beautiful pictures, and I was just always struck how much beauty could exist alongside pain. And I think that I, when, when I started teaching, and I wasn't in that world that was so full of vulnerability, I missed it. And photography was my avenue to be able to kind of get back into that world. And I was I was really fortunate, you know, Gainesville is such a cool town and that, you know, you just, you're so connected with, with your friends and your neighbors and people who work in different fields. And so I had friends who worked at UF Health, and they connected me with their social workers who connected me with patients who wanted pictures taken of their kids. And it kind of just sprung from there. And so at one point, I did it so often, I call it the Shared Hope Project and I offered free pictures to  families who have kids going through chronic medical conditions and issues. I did it much more back in 2014, 2015, 2016. I then met a little girl named Phoebe who passed away at the age of six from di PG brain tumor. And during her last 29 months of life, I photographed her somewhere between 12 and 15 times and she really became my project. You know, my, my photography project was really trying to be there for her as much as I could. And her death has really left a profound impact on me that I don't think that I've I fully processed yet and so I've been hesitant to kind of go back into that world. I think you asked me about photography generally and how I got into it. I can't really say I mean, I think I've always loved taking pictures. One day I would be creative on you know, snap fish at the time with how I edited the pictures and when my husband was in law school, and I wanted a nicer camera. And my friends were complimenting my pictures they offered to pay me $20 or $30 to take their pictures and a few friends had me Come over to their houses, I took their pictures and before I knew it, I had enough money to buy a digital SLR. And a few months later, I had more business than I knew what to do with photography wise. I don't have a photography business anymore. I do pictures. I do take pictures sometimes for friends. I'll do occasionally take pictures for  kids who are going through really difficult things. But I found that I had way too many balls in the air and photography was one that I kind of had to let fall.

Rosanna Catalano  22:28  
It's understandable. You have so many interests in your professional life. Did you have a lot of interests when you were a kid?

Stacey Steinberg  22:35  
Yeah, I am. You know, it's funny I was looking at with lately people have been posting their high school graduation pictures online and so my high school yearbook was out and I think a lot of ways I was really similar to how I am now I was I've always been really involved in my community it's funny I think I act very extrovertedly but I do relish I you know, time alone to like this. You know, this time at home has been really a nice break. For me, but I always I did have a lot of interests I, I always had, you know, a small group of friends. I was never popular, but we always kind of did our own thing. And, yeah, I would say I had a lot of interest in it as kids as a child.

Rosanna Catalano  23:16  
What was your home life like growing up?

Stacey Steinberg  23:18  
I think it was pretty great. You know, it's, uh, I think the thing I struggled with the most was kind of figuring out who I was and what my identity was, but I have a really supportive parents. We were I was born in New York, my parents, my mom's parents came here during the Holocaust and lost a lot of families during World we lost a lot of family during World War Two. And so I was always brought up with a really strong appreciation for freedom and for having you know, enough to eat and a bed to sleep on. And that was kind of ingrained in me from really early on just how fragile The world is and how important is to appreciate things. My I was the first in my family to go to college. So when I was growing up, my parents My grandparents and most of my aunts and uncles there were a lot of there were family businesses that they ran jewelry stores and Hallmark stores were two of the biggest things that were going on. And I moved to Florida. My parents moved to Florida with us when I was going into fifth grade, and we moved to Wellington and West Palm Beach and took me a little while to kind of figure out, you know, my new surroundings and my, my new my new world, but be we enjoyed it, you know, we, I think that I have a little brother, and, and things are pretty good. My mom and dad are still really involved in our lives now. And I think it's really hard for them to not be able to come up and spend time with the, with their grandkids right now because they're in West Palm and we're here and we're doing our best to social distance.

Rosanna Catalano  24:45  
And this has been the tough time I think for everyone. you attended college at the University of Florida as well as law school making you a double Gator like me. What made you choose the University of Florida?

Stacey Steinberg  24:58  
I think, you know, I was so taken aback by its beauty. I, I remember coming here and we stayed at a hotel that was on the corner of university and 13th avenue that overlooks the Business College and these beautiful buildings that, you know, were so stately. And it just, it was really amazing to me that I could have that kind of opportunity. Like I mean, I guess I always knew I would go to college, I always wanted to go to college, but it was at USF that it really hit me that this was something that I could do and maybe be successful and stand on my own with it. There was this walk that we took from the business school down to the Hippodrome, which anyone who's been to Gainesville knows it's not a long walk, but it's a really beautiful walk through kind of old Gainesville buildings. And, and for at that moment, I just knew that this is where I want it to be. And I applied to a few different schools. I got far less money offered to me through us I still have a lot of debt to us or not to us. You know, it definitely cost me more to go to us than the other schools that I could have gone to. But I was sold when I came and did my campus tour. That was really what did it for me. And then as far as law school, I think I found myself like why was what was important to me how to how to have a good time and make good friendships. More in undergrad than I did at any other point in my life. I was really involved in student government. I got involved in Florida Blue key, I met my husband my second day of school my freshman year at a frat party. I just grew roots in this town and I grew them really fast those three and a half years and in undergrad, really I learned so much about myself and about how about how I could be independent and on my own. And so when it was time to think about law schools, I was graduating a semester early. I had done preview. I was a preview staff member that summer and I was about to graduate a semester early. And I decided that I was only going to apply to us because they Had the spring entry class at the time. And if I didn't get in or if I decided not to go there, my plan was to just wait until the next fall to apply. But I got accepted to US law to start in the spring. And I just didn't see any reason why not to like I just wasn't ready to leave. And so I graduated us undergrad in December of I think 2000 2001 2000, I think and then I started Law School in 2001. In January. I did, maybe I don't have to call it a nervous breakdown, but I did decide a month into law school that I made a terrible mistake and tried to drop out and move to DC but the pole of Gainesville brought me back pretty quickly.

Rosanna Catalano  27:42  
I can remember thinking that many times my first year of law school, maybe my second or third as well.

Go Gators.

Yes. What's your first job was out of law school and what impact is 10 on your career?

Stacey Steinberg  27:59  
My first job at a law school was working for the State Attorney's Office in the Eighth Judicial Circuit under State Attorney Bill Cervone. It was I think I because I didn't set out to become a prosecutor, if you would have told me my first year of law school that I would have become a prosecutor, I don't think I would have believed you. But I had had a few intern experiences that were good. But I then had an internship experience with the State Attorney's office that was great that to work with some incredible mentors, who really showed me that I could the line between work and and my free time or what I want to do in my free time would get thinner and thinner because the work was so meaningful and the people that I was interacting with, or people that I wanted to be around that I just, I just really felt at home at the State Attorney's Office. And so I started in the misdemeanor division handling assaults and batteries, minor petty thefts, and then I moved into the domestic violence unit not too long, later handling in intimate partner violence. I really enjoyed the flow of courtroom life, the litigation pieces of it. I loved the negotiations and the trials and the meeting with the victims and witnesses. And it was a really good place to start as a lawyer who loved public speaking more than the written word at the time.

Rosanna Catalano  29:18  
After working at the State Attorney's office, I see you worked at the Florida Department of Children and Families, what was your role at DCF?

Stacey Steinberg  29:26  
I joined the children's legal services part of DCF. And so our job was to work alongside Child Protective investigators and Family Care counselors. What I what I really liked about that job and one of the reasons that I switched is because I was ready to to be more part more of a be part of more of a collaborative team in decision making. It was difficult sometimes at the State Attorney's Office to handle such a high case volume and to be kind of in an office on your own making a lot of really big decisions that would affect a lot of people. And what I loved about DCF is that the decisions that we made happened more around the table. And our job was to tell or to help caseworkers decide whether they had legal sufficiency to take a certain action, and then the caseworkers would would go forward and decide what was best for their kids. So there was always this two tiered approach of, you know, is there legal sufficiency for this action? And then is this what's best for this child? And, and so I stayed there for a few years after DCF Where did you go? I went to the law school, actually.

Rosanna Catalano  30:30  
You're an author, child, advocate, Attorney, photographer, professor and mom, which one of those titles gives you the most joy?

Stacey Steinberg  30:41  
Um, being a mom, I mean, I don't even have to say um, I mean, being a mom is is definitely the part that gives me the most joy.

Rosanna Catalano  30:48  
And I think we hear your little ones in the background. Yes.

Stacey Steinberg  30:54  
If you give me a moment, I can I can take care of

Rosanna Catalano  31:00  
Which one of those titles provide you with the most frustration?

Stacey Steinberg  31:07  
The most frustration probably being a mom as well.

Rosanna Catalano  31:15  
Whice one of those provides you with the most pride? 

Stacey Steinberg  31:17  
Definitely being a mom. 

Rosanna Catalano  31:19  
Tell our listeners how they can get a copy of your new book, "Growing Up Shared."

Stacey Steinberg  31:24  
For now you can pre-order it on Amazon.  It's available if you just type in growing up shared and Stacey Steinberg in the Amazon search box you can get it that way. I believe it's also available through many other online book retailer is really anywhere books are sold should be able to order it for you. I've seen it through Barnes and Noble and books a million so all these places can can give you copies that can get you on the pre order list. You can also visit my website www.staceysteinberg.com. And the links are right there or you can follow me on Facebook at facebook.com/growingupshared and lastly, if you're on Twitter, you can see me on Twitter and see the link to get a copy of the book.

Rosanna Catalano  32:05  
We like to end our show with a little fun by asking all of our guests the same seven questions. What would people be surprised to know about you?

Probably that I have terrible imposter syndrome. You listed a lot of things that I do. I feel like I'm an imposter and almost all of them except being a mom. I think that that that that one I don't feel like too much of an imposter. I'm not sure I'm doing it right all the time. Probably doing it wrong most of the time. But in all my other roles, I definitely have terrible imposter syndrome. And I think people would be really surprised to know how nervous I am. Every time I put my work into the world.

When you have guests in town, where is your favorite place to take them?

Stacey Steinberg  32:48  
Emilio's fine Italian restaurant downtown, one of our very best friends on the rest owns the restaurants. He went to law school with me when he first bought the restaurant. We helped to peel off wallpaper and paint it before it was professionally decorated, and the food is just absolutely outstanding.

Rosanna Catalano  33:08  
What is the name of a book you recently read that you could not put down or the name of a show you enjoyed binge watching?

Stacey Steinberg  33:16  
Right? The most recent book I've read I read was The Red Tent, which is a book I read probably 15 years ago and thought and wanted to reread it. It's by Anita diamond. And it's just a book that that was really meaningful and left me thinking afterwards. misses everything by Jennifer Waner is a more recent book that came out and that one also was just so delightful to read and, and left me wanting more.

Rosanna Catalano  33:42  
Among your close family and friends, what are you best known for?

Stacey Steinberg  33:45  
Think I'm probably best known for being spontaneous, kind of unpredictable, both with what I might want to do for the day where we might want to go eat or what career path I might want to to try out

Rosanna Catalano  33:57  
If you have a nickname who can give it to you

Stacey Steinberg  34:01  
My high school classmates when I had an unfortunate incident with a series SOC circuit in the physics lab It's "Sparky."

Rosanna Catalano  34:13  
That is fantastic. If you knew you could not fail, what would you attempt?

Stacey Steinberg  34:23  
Think not to be nervous when I put my work into the world.

Rosanna Catalano  34:27  
And lastly, what are the top three things you love about living in Florida?

Stacey Steinberg  34:32  
Fall which is interesting because we're recording this in spring but I love the fall in North Central Florida. I love how connected we all are. I mean, Florida sometimes gets a bad rap but we really are so well connected with each other and you know, we have these different cultures and populations and all over the state but but I do feel like at least for me, I feel connected to all corners of the state and I'd say third is the University of Florida. I think that this town Gainesville, this campus, it's it's like this this oasis in a place that I love to drive down the roads that I love to be at. You know, I wish everybody could live in a town that they appreciate it as much as I appreciate Gainesville. 

Rosanna Catalano  35:20  
I would have to concur with you. I love Gainesville and the University of Florida.  It has been an absolute pleasure speaking with you today. Thank you so much for your time.

Stacey Steinberg  35:30  
Thank you for having me.

Rosanna Catalano  35:50  
Be sure to subscribe to The Floridaville on Spotify, iTunes, Google Play, iHeartRadio, or any of your favorite podcasting platforms. For more information about the show, go to our website, TheFlordiaville.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juliana Tafur, Documentary Filmmaker & Owner, Orkidea Production Company

Christine Phipps, CEO, Phipps Reporting

Kristie Harris, Associate Vice President of Financial Affairs, University of Central Florida