Susan Fiorito, Ph.D., Dean, Florida State University Jim Moran College of Entrepreneurship









Contact  

Transcript

This is a transcript from The Floridaville podcast.  This transcript was created using artificial intelligence so it may not be an accurate account of what was recorded.


INTRO MUSIC

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  0:09 

This is the Floridaville.  Get to know the people behind the Florida names you know. I'm your host Rosanna Catalano. On today's episode we get to know Dr. Susan Fiorito. She's the Dean of the newly created Jim Moran College of Entrepreneurship at Florida State University, the first such college in the nation at a public university. She's a university leader at FSU, who got her start in a high school classroom in South Florida.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  0:43 

Our guest today is Dr. Susan Fiorito, the founding dean of the Jim Moran College of Entrepreneurship at Florida State University. Welcome to the show. Dr. Fiorito, the Jim Moran College of Entrepreneurship just became an official college at FSU. For those of our listeners, not in academia, can you explain what that means?

 

DR. FIORITO   1:02 

Yes And good morning. The College of Entrepreneurship is the only college in the United States, this program is outside any college of business or engineering. We are a separate entity. We started in the fall of 2017 as a school, and just recently started a graduate program. And so we have become a college, an entity unto ourselves, to be able to plan programs undergraduate and graduate, for students who are interested in learning about entrepreneurship.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  1:38 

What makes this different than a business school?

 

DR. FIORITO   1:41 

A lot of people ask me that, and that's very common question. And basically, business schools are very specialized. Your last two years of university degree you're going to specialize in accounting, or in marketing, or in management. In entrepreneurship, we believe in a generalist degree. So our students have accounting, and marketing, and management. They have personal finance, they have law. So the last two years of the students’ program in our College of Entrepreneurship, they are learning about all of the areas, all the business functional areas. So we really consider ourselves a generalist degree, because our students need to talk as an entrepreneur,r as a business person, to all functional areas in business.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  2:34 

I've heard you quoted as saying entrepreneurship is a way of thinking.   A belief in yourself and your abilities to see a problem and solve it. How do you teach that to students?

 

DR. FIORITO   2:43 

That is a good question. And we often we have as our faculty, entrepreneur. Some of the entrepreneurs still own their own businesses. And this is a way of opening your eyes, opening opportunities to solving problems. We like students, we go through a lot of design thinking activities. So they will try to visualize, or just think themselves what problems do they see in their community, in their lives, and their family, in the world? And how can they solve that? Most people think it's, oh, that's someone else's problem. But we all can't say that. We have to be able to learn how to solve problems in our daily life, in our community, in our world. And so we teach students how to be able to approach problems and how to solve them through a lot of exercises.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  3:47 

I've had the wonderful opportunity of taking an entrepreneurship course you offered to faculty and staff at FSU several years ago. Was it important to you that this course be offered to others in the university?

 

DR. FIORITO   3:59 

FSU became an entrepreneurial university with President Barron. And it was one of the big 10 ideas he helped develop while he was president. In order to be an entrepreneurial university, we are not only have to have a degree in entrepreneurship, but we think everybody needs to be educated, what is entrepreneurship? And how can we incorporate that maybe in our classes or even the way we think or behave for staff and faculty? I think it's very important for them to be able to think about how to solve problems and not worried about failure. Because we in our program, believe that failure is the best opportunity to learn.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  4:41 

During that course, you told us the story of how you became an entrepreneur yourself, in the clothing industry. Can you share that story with our listeners?

 

DR. FIORITO   4:50 

Yes, so I, when I graduated Florida State University in 1973, I taught high school home economics in Hialeah Miami Lakes. I was dating the chemistry professor in Hialeah Miami Lakes and he had a business - a leather manufacturing business in the Miami flea market. So I've sewn my clothes my whole life and he needed someone to help him sew wallets so I went down to the Miami flea market and sold wallets, leather wallets. And that's how I was able to see him. We eventually decided to get married and moved to Atlanta. And we had about 25 companies around the country that sold our leather goods. But a leather company in itself doesn't make that much money. So we decided to sell jeans and tops and I started to design suede vests. And very typical of entrepreneurs, I had a full time job teaching high school in Georgia in Atlanta and then at night manage the stores.

 

DR. FIORITO   5:58 

So that's how we started.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  You meet a lot of successful alumni who have started their businesses and turned them into empires. Do you see any common characteristics that make these people successful?

 

DR. FIORITO   6:10 

The common characteristics of successful entrepreneurs is that they work really hard. And they think about their ideas 24 seven, and, and they don't give up. And if they fail, if something doesn't work, they go back to the drawing board and figure out how to make it work.  To go unde,r over, around roadblocks. They are persistent. They are creative, and they take risks with what they believe they can do. They try everything, they want to know about everything involved with what they're doing.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  6:53 

Your life obviously took some twists and turns to get you to this point. Can you tell us where you grew up and what your whole life was like growing?

 

DR. FIORITO   7:00 

So I grew up in Miami, Florida. I'm one of seven children. I'm the second oldest. And I always wanted to be the oldest. Because my older sister always got the bike first, and the roller skates first and got to do got to drive first tonight. I asked my dad once, when am I going to ever be able to get things first? And he said, Susan, you won't you. So I said, Oh darn. 

 

ROSANNA CATALANO:

(laughter) Sounds like a conversation we’ve had with our youngest!

 

DR. FIORITO:

(laughter)  My  older sister told me years later, she said, I wish you would have been the oldest because I hated to do things first. And you know, being from a large family, you learn cooperation. We had to babysit the younger children. So we learned how to take responsibility from a very early age, and we worked together and I think those characteristics and values have followed me.  Seven children that have different personalities. So when you're in any kind of business or educational situation, you're going to have a lot of different personalities. How do you work with them? So I think my upbringing and my parents were totally wonderful and both of them have passed now. But all of us seven children still get together for family, reunions, love each other, and care about each other.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  8:29 

That's wonderful. How would you describe yourself as a child?

 

DR. FIORITO   8:34 

I was hard working. Going through high school I always babysat but I made clothes for my younger brothers and sisters. I made my dad's shirts, we didn't have very much money. And so if I wanted clothing, that was cute. I had to make it myself. In fact, one of the women I babysat for when I was in high school, probably ninth grade was throwing out her drapes from her living room and there was this gorgeous green color fabric. And I said, Do you mind if I take that? We couldn't always afford fabrics. So I made a great shirt out of these old drapes.

 

DR. FIORITO   9:15 

(laughter) Gone with the Wind.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  9:22 

(laughter)  Wasn’t that the Sound of Music as well?

 

DR. FIORITO   9:26 

(laughter) They were all my role models.

 

DR. FIORITO   9:30 

And so I would I work for JC Penney in the fabric department and they let me make all of the clothes for the models in the fabric department. Then I got to keep them. So I yeah, I've just love to sew and create and try to figure out ways on how I can do that without much money.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  9:50 

Are you wearing any of your creations today?

 

DR. FIORITO   9:53 

No. So since I got my PhD when I started into the doctoral program, that's when I had to stop sewing. Now even pay an alteration is to have my slacks. Because for researchers if you're in higher education, your focus has to be on publications if you want to get tenure and be promoted, and I realized that.  I did when my children were growing up, I made their Halloween costumes and I did make quite a few Barbie dresses for my daughter's Barbies. So I have done that. And now that I have a grandchild, I'll get back into some of those skills again.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  10:31 

Well, I must say you look very festive today and I like your Rudolph necklace. We may hear jingle bells in the background. That's what it is. But you know, you look very festive.  It’s great.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  10:42 

What was your favorite thing to do outside of school growing up?

 

DR. FIORITO   10:45 

It was really sewing. I love to sew and we couldn't travel when we were young again with seven children. We had one car. And it was helping others. I love to work. I actually loved to work at JC Penney and meet people there and help people. And I just really enjoyed that.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  11:08 

If I were to ask 10 year old Susan Fiorito, what she wanted to be when she grew up, what would she say?

 

DR. FIORITO   11:14 

Probably a fashion designer, because I loved to sew, and I actually I took classes at Miami Dade Community College. I got my a degree from there first before coming to Florida State. I was in the fashion design program. And I remember my eight o'clock class, my first class in fashion design was illustration. And honestly, I couldn't draw at all. And the professor said to me, Susan, you need to change your major, because this is terrible. Let me show you what it should be like. So I realized at that point, I was not going to be a fashion designer. I could still make my own clothes but I had to go into something else and I'd decided to take some classes in accounting and merchandising. That was okay. I didn't love it. What I really loved was teaching. So I decided to go into Home Economics education. And I loved teaching high school. I taught high school for five years and loved teaching students how to sew, how to cook, how to take care of their family.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  12:26 

Would you have been interested in pursuing a degree in entrepreneurship back when you were in college?

 

DR. FIORITO   12:31 

Probably because I'm sure I could have thought about making clothes for someone and doing it online or whatever it might be. So yeah, I still I love that. And I love crafts. I've loved Martha Stewart. Who was everything crafty.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  12:46 

I watched her shows.

 

DR. FIORITO   12:50 

I mean, it was great. I could not do it as as good as she could but her cool calm nature and presentation of ideas and how to do things. I love that. So I would be a Martha Stewart copycat probably.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  13:06 

Did you pursue graduate studies right after getting your bachelor's degree or did you enter the workforce?

 

DR. FIORITO   13:11 

So after my bachelors, I taught high school so I had to have a job. My high school Home Economics teacher called me the semester I was going to graduate from Florida State asked me if I wanted a job. And I said, Yes. She said, there's a job at Hialeah Miami Lakes if you come down and interview for it. They had seven home economics teachers at that time and in the early 70s, because every boy and girl had to have one year of home economics before they graduated high school. Those were the glory days. I interviewed.  I got the job. It was my only interview. I didn't even have to look at job announcements or anything. So it was very good. We moved to Atlanta. I got the first job I interviewed for teaching high school there. So I really loved it.  While I was at Hialeah Miami Lakes I decided I wanted a master's degree. So I took courses at night. I also taught adults at night how to sew, which was fun. And I also mended all the football teams’ practice uniforms. I have a football trophy, actually. That the whole football team gave me because I mended all of their uniforms.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  14:26 

That's so great. (laughter)

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  14:30 

So when did you decide to pursue a PhD?

 

DR. FIORITO   14:33 

We eventually, in Atlanta had four stores, and clothing stores. We would close out like County Seat in the mall would go out of business, because what we started was to alter jeans on the spot for our customers. This happened one day when I was working in the store on a Saturday.  A woman came in with three little boys. And so the jeans were all too long for her and she goes you know sewing through all these layers of denim, it's so hard.  And I said, if you don't mind, I can sew them for you. I can have all of the jeans for you on the spot right now for no charge on the leather machine I have in the back of the shop where I saw the wallets and the purses and things. But you won't be able to return them. They'll be altered for you. I'll make them long enough, so if they shrink. She said fabulous. So we decided to start that service. And we would alter everybody's jeans on the spot for them for no charge. And no one could compete with us.  Riches was in our first mall, and I mean they charged a huge amount. If one of our customers they bought a pair of jeans and the zipper broke, I would replace it. I would sew on buttons for them. And so our vendors who we bought jeans from loved us and they would want us of course to be successful. When we had four stores. My hands were blue during back to school from all of the indigo dye. I was sewing all night long jeans and would bring it back the next day to our other stores. Being in a family business is very difficult. first husband and I there were several reasons why the marriage didn't last. When that happened. I decided to leave Atlanta, and I was offered a job at FIU to teach merchandising. I had a master's degree only. And they were starting a merchandising program. They needed someone who had had small business experience and the merchandising program then at FIU it was only a junior and senior program. There was someone reviewing the program, Catherine Greenwood from Oklahoma State, and she interviewed me as with all the other faculty and she said, you'll need a PhD to continue to teach at higher ed.  And I said, Okay, and she said, I can offer you an assistantship, pay your tuition. And also I'm starting a new center to work with small businesses, and I'd like you to be my assistant. So I said, Okay,

 

(laughter)

 

DR. FIORITO   17:04 

so I was 31. And I sold everything I had and I drove out to Oklahoma and started in the PhD program at Oklahoma State.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  17:16 

Wow. Tell us how your career unfolded after you completed your doctorate.

 

DR. FIORITO   17:21 

So when I had started at Oklahoma State, I was traveling to various merchandise marts. Catherine Greenwood and I were presenting sessions on how small businesses could stay in business. I was in a little apartment complex right on the edge of Oklahoma State that had faculty members that live there, and the faculty member from the College of Business lived next door, and she wanted to hook up every single graduate student professor with the men in the College of Business who weren't married. So we often had parties and they were all the single men from the College of Business who came over to our apartment because my roommate and I could both cook. And so, I met someone there and one of the professors who was single and six months later we were married.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  18:15 

Wow that was a whirlwind. (laughter)

 

DR. FIORITO   18:16 

Yeah, so as someone who did not want to get married because I just been through kind of a difficult divorce but you know when you meet the right person. That was 37 years ago. We're still married and have two wonderful children. And, but he had just accepted a job in Iowa. So I was just in my first year of my PhD program, he moved to Iowa. So our first year of marriage, he was in Iowa and I was in Oklahoma. So we'd see each other once a month, and that would let each of us focus on our responsibilities me getting finished. By the time I was finished my coursework at Oklahoma State, there was a job opening in Iowa. I applied for it and I got it. So we were at the University of Iowa for eight years before coming to Florida State.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  19:05 

Wonderful.

 

COMMERCIAL BREAK  19:08 

This episode of the Floridaville is brought to you by Rocket Ship Consultants. Let us help you launch your career, your business, your political campaign, or your podcast. For more information, visit our website at rocketshipconsultants.com.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  19:27 

Higher education can be a bit of a mystery to those not working in it. I know you served as president of the Faculty Senate for a time. Can you explain to our listeners what that means and the differences between tenure track and non-tenure track positions at a large research university?

 

DR. FIORITO   19:43 

I love service. You know that's really been part of my life and being on committees. It's not typical that faculty members, and I was hired at FSU and a tenure track line, which means that I had recently responsibilities. I was promoted from assistant, to associate, and then full. Mainly because of research but also teaching. I'd won some several teaching awards. But I loved helping others and to do that with service to be on committees. And I would be on a department committee and then maybe a college committee and I would volunteer. And because there are so few women that were tenure track with the PhD, you had to serve on a lot of committees in order to have diversity. So I would just volunteer, and I wanted to be on the curriculum committee that helped design and approve a curriculum all over campus. I started going to those meetings and they said, Would you like to be chair? So I said, Sure. Yeah. And so for 16 years, I was chair of the university Curriculum Committee. That's people from all over campus and in the College of Human science, they needed a representative on the Faculty Senate. And I said, I'll do it. I love to do service work. And the Faculty Senate is made up of 100 faculty only tenure track from across the university. All colleges are represented. I was on there and was very involved with several other university committees and was nominated to be part of the Steering Committee for the Faculty Senate. There's only seven people there. They're, they're voted on by the whole hundred people in Faculty Senate. I don't know who nominated me and I was on this small group that met with the President once a week, and we had meetings and then eventually I was asked to be the, I was nominated to be the vice chair and then voted on to be the president of the Faculty Senate. So for two years, and the faculty senate president is on the Board of Trustees. So it was just a tremendous opportunity.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  22:01 

What are some of the lessons you learned leading the faculty senate at FSU?

 

DR. FIORITO   22:06 

Some of the valuable things I learned and appreciate is that each college is so different. They're so unique. Florida State is very much decentralized. Although the Faculty Senate is a central organization, each college, each Dean, each department, has a lot of autonomy. Dean's control their budgets. They request money, of course from the provost, but they have a lot of ability to make decisions about where they believe their college should be going. So the faculty senate really helped me appreciate the differences in the different colleges. How many undergraduate programs they had, how many graduate programs, what is the most important thing to them. In the humanities, it's writing books. It's not publishing in top tier journals. So each college looks at their discipline, and follows what is needed in their area to succeed.   what the professionals need to do, and how they need to, to educate the students in their majors.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  23:17 

You've pursued a number of pathss and even started your own business. All of these activities involve an element of risk. And you've touched on this before. How do you talk yourself into taking a risk and making a leap?

 

DR. FIORITO   23:28 

You know, it's easy to take a risk with what you believe that you can do. Now, starting the college, several people will say, Oh my gosh, I can't believe you're doing this. There's not another one out there. I really believe that, I don't make decisions in a vacuum. I have a fabulous team. I have been able to work with people who are sharing, and caring, and giving and are willing to help make decisions and see things that aren't there yet. I love to work with people and that's probably being from a family of seven children. We just work together. And I believe we've made a lot of mistakes. But I admit it, I say, okay, this, this was the wrong thing. We don't need to teach this class anymore. Ask several people. Yes, let's do a class in this area. Okay, that sounds good. We ask the experts and we move forward. Maybe that's not right. So then we, we start again. Okay, so what do we need? We're entrepreneurial within Florida State, which is a big corporation. And they have rules every student has to graduate with 120 credit hours. So we have to figure out how we can be creative and innovative within that structure, and that's what entrepreneurs do.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  25:04 

when I consult with business owners, they always tell me that they would not have been able to pursue their dream if it wasn't for having people in their life that support them and cheer them on. Who are your biggest supporters and cheerleaders?

 

DR. FIORITO   25:16 

Clearly my husband.   He, you know, there's a lot of things that I need to go to. My job is fairly demanding. And he is always supportive, you know, makes me laugh. People sometimes don't believe that Jack has a sense of humor because he's very deadpan, but he's one of the funniest guys I know, and is always supportive, will just let me pursue what areas I want to, to do, what things I want to do and what I feel is necessary. And we're such, I think, a good team in raising our children, continuing on with our careers. I couldn't have done it without him.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  26:01 

Getting back to your current work at the Jim Moran College of Entrepreneurship, what plans do you have on the horizon for the college?

 

DR. FIORITO   26:09 

So in the gift agreement that we signed in December of 2015, it indicated that the school at that time needed to have five undergraduate degrees and to have at least 500 students by 2023. So we've already overcome the 500 students. We're about 750 students right now. The school was supposed to start by August of 2018. I started a year earlier, but we have until 2023. I have three undergraduate majors. We're working on the fourth with STEM undergraduate major, and I feel very strongly even though it did not say anything in the gift agreement that we need to build graduate programs. We cannot be an institution at Florida State University, a research one university and not have graduate programs. So people were kind of shocked about that because it wasn't in the gift agreement. But I feel strongly that if people have undergraduate degrees and let's say, classics and they decide they want to open a business, how can they do that? So I feel that having entrepreneurship master's degrees, and then eventually a PhD, will, again help to educate all levels and interesst. And then also executive education. We would, I would love to do that. So I think graduate degrees, I'm looking forward to developing those and partnering with the different colleges across campus.  Executive Ed, because there are people who have graduated who want maybe a certificate in entrepreneurship, want to learn some things about starting a business. We're also teaching high school summer camps. So I think it's our purpose and our goal to be able to teach all levels. Anyone interested in entrepreneurship a minor, a major, certificate.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  28:12 

We like to end our show with a little bit of fun by asking all our guests the same seven questions. What would people be surprised to know about you?

 

DR. FIORITO   28:22 

Probably that

 

DR. FIORITO   28:26 

I like to knit?

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  28:30 

(laughter) I wasn't expecting that answer with that long pause

 

DR. FIORITO   28:35 

(laughter) I don't know. Most people would probably not picture me knitting at night

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  28:43 

(laughter) all these high powered meetings and you knit. I love it.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  28:47 

When you have guests in town, where is your favorite place to take them?

 

DR. FIORITO   28:51 

We love to take them to Wakulla Springs. You know, it's so much fun to see people on that little cruise ship as we're going through and looking at alligators and birds, you know, it's just so Florida. It's just a beautiful place to relax and bring visitors.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  29:14 

What is the name of a book you recently read that you could not put down or the name of a show you enjoyed binge watching.

 

DR. FIORITO   29:22 

I love The Crown.

 

DR. FIORITO   29:24 

I do binge watch that. I had to not watch it until my daughter came from New York for a visit so we, we watched it. And I really think I had a previous life where I was some kind of royal somewhere. I love those big dresses. And so I really think I must have worn those in a previous life. So I love the Royals and all that historical stuff.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  29:48 

I do too I do too I'm guilty. Among your close family and friends, what are you best known for?

 

DR. FIORITO   29:58 

Um, I think being the mediator. I don't like people angry with each other. And I really try to help people to resolve problems and I'm, I'm very easygoing. People see me as someone who will fit in to most things and we'll go along with what they want to do.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  30:25 

If you have a nickname, who gave it to you?

 

DR. FIORITO   30:28 

My mother used to call me Susie. And now you know, even some people that I'm introduced to they'll, they'll say Susie to me, and I'll look at them like, are you? (laughter)

 

DR. FIORITO   30:42 

That's that's not your that's not a nickname that you could give me.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO:

 Only your mom.

 

SUSAN FIORITO:

Only my mom.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  30:49 

If you knew you could not fail, what would you attempt?

 

DR. FIORITO   30:54 

I would love to play a musical instrument. I just admire people so much who could who can play instruments.  And as a as a child again, we didn't have very much money. That's one of the things that we weren't able to do. And none of us in my family were able to take music lessons or even take music in school because you had to pay an extra fee for a musical instrument and I would love to be able to do that. I love music.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  31:25 

You know, you can just take lessons if you want.

 

DR FIORITO

(laugther) yeah, In my free time.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  31:34 

I just started cello lessons after a 30 year hiatus.

 

DR FIORITO

I love it

 

ROSANNA CATALANO

I put my cello down. I'm suffering now in my spare time, but it’s getting done.

 

SUSAN FIORITO

Good.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO

What are the top three things you love about living in Florida?

 

DR. FIORITO   31:42 

Um, wearing flip flops. I love wearing flip flops. I love the beach.  Growing up in Miami, just being able to go to the beach and listen to the ocean. I absolutely love that. And I love seeing the sun. We lived in Scotland for a year, my husband and I took a sabbatical. And I had no idea there were parts of this world that didn't see the sun for months at a time.

 

DR. FIORITO   32:17 

It was a sad

 

DR. FIORITO   32:21 

when it was so grey all the time. So I love the sunshine.

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  32:26 

Dr. Fiorito, it's been an absolute pleasure having you here today.

 

DR. FIORITO   32:29 

Thank you so, so much. I've enjoyed it.

 

OUTRO MUSIC

 

ROSANNA CATALANO  32:39 

Don't forget to subscribe to our podcast. For more information on our show, please visit our website, the Floridaville.com. Be sure to like our Facebook page so that you can learn more about upcoming episodes. We would love to hear your feedback and ideas for future episodes, so be sure to email us. Our email address is feedback@TheFloridaville.com  This episode of the Florida bill was edited by Joy Tootle Thank you for listening.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Juliana Tafur, Documentary Filmmaker & Owner, Orkidea Production Company

Christine Phipps, CEO, Phipps Reporting

Kristie Harris, Associate Vice President of Financial Affairs, University of Central Florida